Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-01-15, 16:38
Administrator

Thanks Mary!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-01-15, 00:58

I've been patiently waiting for Oxfordshire (and Suffolk) for ages. I hope they don't take too long before they get on line!
Old 18-01-15, 08:23
Administrator

I have used the Search service of the OFHS a couple of times now, once with very good results, the other less so. I have to say, Dr Simpson, who does the lookups is a bit more flexible in what he will look for than the search page suggests, so it's not as frustrating as it looks.

http://searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/index.html#types

I paid about £3 the first time and got back another generation in the 1600s with my Smiths, but the other line I was after don't seem to exist in Oxon though they appear in a will in 1710, but at least I now know that (for £1.50!) and think what that would have cost in fiche/CDs. for the whole county!

As well as looking for a specific surname, Dr Simpson has provided me with lists such as all the people baptised in a date range with the same father's forename across the county or all the people with the same surname from one parish etc etc. I think if the facility he uses will do the search he will do it and you can pay online which is easier than some other FHSs where you have to locate your cheque book! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-01-15, 17:14

Merry

Do you know if this guy undertakes Catholic research?
Old 18-01-15, 17:45
Administrator

I don't know whether there are Catholic records amongst the non-con records on their site.

I've just had a look and the only mentions I can see are Monumental Inscriptions for

Chipping Norton, Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church

and

Eynsham, St Peter Roman Catholic Church

and some inclusions on these PR CDs:

BANBURY Reg. Dist.
Banbury, St. Mary, South, Christchurch, Methodist Circuit, Presbyterian, Quaker, Roman Catholic; Neithrop.

SOUTH OXFORDSHIRE
Brightwell Baldwin; Goring Countess of Huntingdon; Henley St. Mary; Henley Holy Trinity; Rotherfield Greys Ind.; Stonor Roman Catholic; Watlington Wesleyan.

Also, if you click this link,

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/OxfordshirePa...eFinderA-Z.pdf

try searching for RC with a space after it (otherwise you get all the references to the month of March!)

Basically, "not a lot" seems to be the answer!

Old 19-01-15, 09:41

As I thought. Just hoped some might have turned up after all of these years. The RC Diocese didn't seem to know of the whereabouts even. Lost I expect.
Old 21-01-15, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I have used the Search service of the OFHS a couple of times now, once with very good results, the other less so. I have to say, Dr Simpson, who does the lookups is a bit more flexible in what he will look for than the search page suggests, so it's not as frustrating as it looks.

I paid about £3 the first time and got back another generation in the 1600s with my Smiths, but the other line I was after don't seem to exist in Oxon though they appear in a will in 1710, but at least I now know that (for £1.50!) and think what that would have cost in fiche/CDs. for the whole county!

As well as looking for a specific surname, Dr Simpson has provided me with lists such as all the people baptised in a date range with the same father's forename across the county or all the people with the same surname from one parish etc etc. I think if the facility he uses will do the search he will do it and you can pay online which is easier than some other FHSs where you have to locate your cheque book! lol
Thanks Merry, I think it's just that I like to browse through PRs.

Most of mine are from South Oxon, in what was considered at the time (I'm told), a remote hamlet. Many were non conformists and the records for the local chapel are incomplete, so I don't hold out much hope of finding much more.
Old 21-01-15, 06:03
Administrator

Quote:
I think it's just that I like to browse through PRs.
So do I, however, I don't like restricting myself to a tiny group of parishes, but can't afford £70 to get a five mile radius on my starting parish, especially as I'd be wondering if the family had moved six miles away!

Old 21-01-15, 06:23

It's only a drop in the Oxfordshire ocean but these marriage bonds are free and online, one of my Badcocks crops up on it

http://www.whipple.org/oxford/marriagebonds.html
Old 21-01-15, 06:33
Administrator

I found one of mine on there - £8 for a copy though and I've been waiting ages for it now!!

There's also this one:

http://www.whipple.org/oxford/dioces...age_bonds.html

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to search it by the name of the bride if you are looking for a common name. I wanted to look for Ford, but I haven't been able to do that!! lol