Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-03-14, 09:47
Administrator

Default Bright ideas about Richard Hogg please

I know very little about Richard Hogg and would appreciate any help or ideas.

Richard Hogg married Rebecca Purvis (b abt 1784) by licence at St Leonard's Shoreditch in 1811. Witnesses were Butler Johnson and Elizabeth Hill (I don't know who they are)

Rebecca died in 1829 and was buried at Enfield, Middlesex. As far as I know she and Richard only had one child and that was not until 1822 (so after nearly 11 years of marriage) when their son Peregrine Hogg was born and baptised at Enfield.

Rebecca Purvis's mother was born Sarah Hogg, so I imagined Richard Hogg might well be a cousin of some sort.

After Rebecca's death Richard remarried in 1830 at St George the Martyr, Southwark to spinster Mary Ann Attwood (Witnesses Thomas Sparks and Richard Hurst? - I don't know who they are either). Mary Ann is a widow in 1851 and in 1841 is living with her father and without her husband so I would imagine Richard was dec'd by 1841. Richard and Mary Ann had two known children, both of whom died as babies (Margaret Ann Sophia Hogg 1831/32 and Thomas Henry Reynold Hogg 1832/33)

Richard is noted as being a schoolmaster at the burial of his first wife, Rebecca, and at the bap of his son Peregrine. Also at the bap of Margaret Ann Sophia Hogg.

Some of the entries for Mary Ann and Richard's children show their address as Wellington Terrace. In 1841 Mary Ann was at Wellington Street Southwark.

So, I don't know when Richard was born or when he died except it was probably between about 1831 and 1841 (or before 1851).

Some trees on Ancestry show Richard b abt 1752 and the son of Peregrine Purvis who was "of Fish Street", but I think that may be incorrect. Peregrine's numerous children show up on the Non-con records on Ancestry, though there is no first name given for the father "Mr Hogg" (if you need to see them, put Fish Street somewhere in the search! ). I can't see a son called Richard in those records and Peregrine Hogg didn't mention a son Richard in his will. Peregrine Hogg did have a daughter, Sarah (already mentioned up-thread), who was Rebecca Purvis's mother and therefore Richard's first mother-in-law.

Peregrine Hogg also had a son Reynold (note Richard gives one of his children that name when married to Mary Ann Attwood). When Reynold Hogg died he left money to the descendants of his sister Sarah. Sarah only had three children. The descendants of her first child were named in Reynold's will. Sarah's last child was mentioned in Reynold's will, but the child (Peregrine Hogg b 1822) of the middle great-niece, Rebecca Purvis/Hogg, was not mentioned, which seems strange given he might well have been the child of Reynold Hogg's relatives on both his maternal and paternal side.

As you see, I have got bogged down with this! lol

There are two burials for a Richard Hogg in the LMA records:

Richard Hogg b abt 1777 bur 16 May 1837 Camden Town St Martin in the Fields Camden
Richard Hogg b abt 1778 bur 23 Feb 1838 St Andrew Holborn City of London

As far as I'm concerned either of these could be the right Richard! (or neither of them!) One came from the workhouse but I don't think that would preclude the entry. I need to find some matching baptism entries to see if I can tie Richard to the rest of the Hogg family some other way.

*prods readers to wake them ....*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-03-14, 10:02
Administrator

I can't see him listed in the Index to Death Duty Registers for either 1837 or 1838.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-03-14, 10:05
Administrator

Good thinking Kate - I hadn't looked there. Thanks.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 10-03-14, 10:19
Administrator

I'm not connected to most of the people from the will of Peregrine Hogg (proved 1783), but these are the family beneficiaries who might also have a connection to Richard.

Son Peregrine Hogg (d 1824. No mention of Richard in his will)
Son Reynold Hogg (d 1843. Ditto)
Dau Elizabeth Browning (wife of Thomas Smalley Browning - not looked at them yet)
Dau Rebecca Hogg (not investigated yet)
Dau Sophia Griffiths (wife of John Griffiths. Ditto)
Nephew Peregrine Hogg (d 1779, son of Thomas Hogg mariner. No mention of Richard in his will)

Old 10-03-14, 10:39
Administrator

Ooer, is this just a coincidence?!

http://www.founders-storylines.com/m...9/richard_hogg

Old 10-03-14, 10:41
Administrator

Ooh, that might be the same thing I saw on the Old Bailey site, but didn't imagine the perpetrator would have been that old so ignored it (not that 56 is old!)

Will have another look!

Old 10-03-14, 10:45
Administrator

Come to think of it, when I looked in the British Newspaper Archive, there were loads of mentions of the Richard Hogg who was sentenced in 1840, but I ignored them as I was looking for a death 1837-8. You should read them and see if it is him. The wife and the address look right but the number of children?

Old 10-03-14, 10:46
Administrator

Actually the OB has R Hogg's age, but I was probably disatracted by him having a son John Thomas, who I know nothing about!

How exciting!

No wonder his older son, Peregrine, shot off to India to get away!!

Old 10-03-14, 10:47
Administrator

On here he is alias Cooper:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...nSearchResults

Old 10-03-14, 10:48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Come to think of it, when I looked in the British Newspaper Archive, there were loads of mentions of the Richard Hogg who was sentenced in 1840, but I ignored them as I was looking for a death 1837-8. You should read them and see if it is him. The wife and the address look right but the number of children?
Well the address must surely make it the right man (I'd ignored lots about him too I now realise, because I thought he wasn't going to be the type to commit that sort of crime!) It says he had three children, so John Thomas and Peregrine makes two - only one more to find.