Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-10-13, 12:50

Hello Shona,
I know you are away at present but I wanted you to know that this morning I received the book I ordered by Robert Brodie. I am beginning to think that it might be my Robert. As you know it was published in 1863. The preface to the book was written by Robert in September 1863 (Robert died in October) In it he writes ' The author regrets very much that severe bodily indisposition has prevented him from giving his work that careful revision which otherwise he would have given it'.
Later in the book he recounts a story about his father, a mariner who was given leave because the frigate he was on needed to go into dry dock for repairs. He took the Kinghorn ferry where, whilst onboard he was overheard saying something political which the person who heard him though seditious. This person, as soon as he got home wrote a letter to a relative who was an officer representing this personas highly dangerous. A crew was sent to apprehend him but missed him because no sooner had the sailor (Alexander?) had got home, he received a letter telling him that the boat was not as bad as thought and that he was to return, which he did and escaped being caught!. I got the impression that the 'talk' had possibly been about press ganging because Robert went on to say how intense the local feeling was against it. Robert says that this was about 1798.
He also says that at that time circumstances was such that many men went to sea out of necessity but many returned to take on previous trades or visa versa which would account for the many entries of different trades.

If I discover more I will let you know. BY the way, Alexander born 1820 and found in the 1881 census in Beverley is correct! A death records shows that his father was named Robert brodie and a second cousin of mine (we share the same great grandparents (George Macarthur and Laura Brodie, who was Robert's granddaughter) grew up in Beverley in the same place as Alexander was living! We are both amazed by the coincidence.

Sam
Old 06-10-13, 21:49

Hi Shona,
I have finished the book, and it was really interesting. I am convinced that it was written by 'my' Robert. I suspect, as you said that it was published shortly after his death.

Sam
Old 07-10-13, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Hi Shona,
I have finished the book, and it was really interesting. I am convinced that it was written by 'my' Robert. I suspect, as you said that it was published shortly after his death.

Sam
I'm so chuffed that it is your Robert Brodie who wrote the book. How amazing for you to have an account of the area your (and some of mine) ancestors lived in..written by one of them!

Did you get the book through inter-library loan?
Old 07-10-13, 17:46

Hello Shona,
I managed to buy a book from ebay. It was the last copy. It is a very small book and covers the history of Pathhead but is quite quirky in parts. The dedication at the front was written by Robert saying that he had spent a long life in the midst of them having spent forty years in the business of the Feuars. It was dated September 1863, which I think places his birthdate about right. Also the fact that he goes on to say that severe bodily indisposition has prevented him revising his work.
The thing that made me doubt at the beginning was the piece you sent entitled 'Impressions and memories of a Pathhead Laddie b 1839 D 1918. I assumed that it meant that he was born in 1839 and died in 1918.
I cant begin to tell you how excited I was reading the book.
But where do your Bodies fit in? Were they from Pathhead or kirkardy?
I have decided that the name Laurence, Robert's son and my great x 3 grandfather must have received his name via Margaret Thompson's family.
As you know I found Alexander, his brother in later censuses as a School Master but I simply haven't been able to find birth records for them or a death record for Alexander, certainly not on Ancestry which makes me think that he may have gone back to Scotland.
I must say, that without your help I couldn't have done all this, so many many thanks.

Sam