Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-09-13, 16:37

Hi Shona,
I have checked and everything including date fit. The poor woman must have been constantly pregnant!
Their children goes as follows:
1818 Stillbirth
1822 Stillbirth
1823 Stillbirth
1824 Mary Brodie
1825 Laurence Brodie
1826 Stillbirth
1828 Agnes Brodie
1830 Stillbirth
1832 Margaret Brodie
When Laurence married in 1851 he named his first child Margaret who was born in 1853, Mary 1853, Robert 1855, William Shakespeare Brodie 1856! Elizabeth Brodie (my gGrandmother) 1858 and Laurence Thompson Brodie 1862
The name Thompson was added to a few of Laura's children her eldest being named Laurence Thompson Brodie Macarthur.
I am very grateful for your help. Thank you.

Sam
Old 16-09-13, 17:26

Have you had a chance to view the images of any of the suggested records on Scotland's People, Sam?
Old 16-09-13, 17:55
Administrator

FamilySearch has a marriage between Alexander Brodie and Christian Hepburn 6 Jan 1809 at Dysart. If this is the same Alexander, Robert's father, then Christian would be Robert's stepmother. Is there a burial for Christian, Shona?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-09-13, 19:00

Saw that marriage earlier. However, I can't find any matches in the pre-stat reg burials.

However, I did come across the following which could be linked, as Laurence is a fairly unusual name for Fifers.

- Mary Habron, chd, daughter of Laurans Habron, weaver, buried 27 June 1790, Dunnikier, Dysart.

- Lawranes Hepburn, buried 20 Jan 1794, weaver and feuar, son-in-law of Jennet Lasson [prob Lawson], dcsd

- John Hepburn, lad, buried 24 Nov 1804, son of Laurance Hepburn, weaver, dcsd, Dunnikier, Dysart.

- Cathrain Habron, alias Ingl., buried 19 June 1818, relict of Laurans Habron, feuar, mother of John, dcsd, Dunnikier, Dysart.
Old 16-09-13, 22:07

Intrigued by the word feuar, I Googled it "A feuar is basically a tenant or occupant of land who pays a fee (feudal duty) to a landlord or land owner"
Old 17-09-13, 07:26

I don`t want to veer off course - but Garston had a very famous man named John Alexander Brodie b 1858 died 1934 ..he designed The Mersey Tunnel /gave Liverpool its Tram network and invented Goal Nets for Football matches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Alexander_Brodie

on freebmd it looks like he was born in Bridgenorth area - familysearch says Nr Ludlow ..100 yards from me is Brodie Avenue - named after John Alexander Brodie in his honour of what he achieved in Liverpool...he is in Garston in 1911 census..
I just thought that with the Alexander middle name ,he may be connected ??...if not disregard this post ....

Last edited by garstonite; 17-09-13 at 07:31.
Old 17-09-13, 08:34

Interesting story, Allan. John Alexander Brodie's parents were Scottish and although John was born in England, I think the family moved back to Scotland when he was young.

Not a Fife family, though.
Old 17-09-13, 09:03

Some more bits and pieces.

Pathhead, now part of Kirkcaldy, was once a separate village. To the south was the Firth of Forth, west was Kirkcaldy and Dysart was to the east of Pathhead. to the north were the villages of Gallatown, Sinclairtown and Dunnikier.

There is a book written in 1863 by Robert Brodie's called Historical Sketches of Pathhead and Vicinity. He was a feuer and native of the town. Whether this is the same Robert that we have been researching, I don't know, but the book does have some interesting accounts of life at the time. Might be worth getting hold of a copy.

Here is one snippet.

Impressions and Memories by a Pathhead Laddie. B.1839. D. 1918.

"My earliest recollections of the west end of Mid Street was of an old tenement house being pulled down.

"It had just been undermined and a long rope put up at the chimney to complete its downfall -

"The whole of the West End folk were out to witness it.

"My Granfather & Grandmother began their married life in that same tenement before the End of the 18th Century. Braehead Cottages were erected on that site, and in front was vacant ground down to the head of the Path, where was a low - wall - 2 to 3 feet high - where old men and women, after climbing the Path could take a rest - Bakers who then carried their bread on boards for delivery to customers, took a much needed breath after the steep climb. The vacant ground was called the "Knoule" and was used by the boys and girls as a playground, but later on the wall was built up higher.

"Mid Street had many outside Stairs and Porches onto the Pavement.

"The Causeway was laid with round boulders, and these very uneven, with many hollows & holes which, after a shower of rain was very convenient for the Ducks and Hens which were kept by the householders and the Street was their only run - Looking along the street at that time reminded you of a farmyard.

The improvement was made in the Early 50s, when granite sets were put down in the Centre of the Causeway, and the best of the boulders put at each side, The sidewalks were made up with an assortment of bits of pavement, bricks, and granite sets. There was one Porch that took up al the space of the footpath in front. It was called the "Muckle Lum"

Many of the houses were thatched & one of the old One Storey houses at the West End had a stable at one End and a family lived at the other. The roof fell in, and the horse had got out and was found in the Country unhurt

The street had only channels or Surface drains, it had 2 Pump wells, and 2 Draw wells.

The only one used for domestic purposes was the Iron Pump to the East of the Flesh Wynd: In Summer the demand for this Water was so great that the well often ran dry. and a lock and Chain was put on the handle for an hour or two until the water again gathered, and then you would see a Queue waiting with Stoops & Pitchers

The Wooden well at the West End, was not used for Cooking as it had rather a Peculiar taste, and some would have it that the reason was the Vicinity of the West Burying ground Some because of a Coal pit. A little to the East of West Wynd was a Draw Well, but it was not in use in my day."
Old 17-09-13, 10:09
Administrator

Why didn't he put in his grandparents' names?! I do hope he turns out to be the same Robert Brodie, that would be amazing! If not then perhaps a relative, though. (Sorry, realised the person with the grandparents isn't named either.)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-09-13, 11:28

It would be amazing if it is the same Robert. Given that the one who wrote the book was a native of the parish and a feuar as was the one we've been researching, it seems possible it's the same chap.

Kirkcaldy Central Library has a copy of the book.