Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-09-13, 11:01

Default Robert Brodie of Fife 1798

Hi,
I winder if anyone can help me. My 3 times great grandfather Robert Brodie born about 1798 appears in the 1841 census in Largo with the Lumsden family and his son Laurence. He is listed as a Sailor. I believe he is the Robert Brodie from Dysart, possibly the son of John and Isobel but I was confused identifying him from further censuses because the only two were a Robert c 1800 who was an Agricultural Lab and Robert c 1798 who was a weaver, until I found a Voter's register which lists him as a Weaver and Sailor.
I believe that this Robert (my Robert) married Margaret Thompson in Dysart in 1819. She appears in the 1841 census in Dysart with children Agnes (later referred to as Nancy, Mary and Margaret. There is also a CHRISTIAN Brodie (female) born c 1775 Fife with them who I cannot identify.
Margaret died between 1841 and 1851 because Robert then married Elizabeth Chapman in 1849 and appears in the later censuses with Nancy - step daughter who then calls herself Agnes.
I am fairly confident about Margaret Thompson because Thompson was then passed down through the family.
Does anyone know anything about these people? Particularly who Christian may have been in connection to the family. I would be really grateful for any help.

Sam
Old 08-09-13, 11:20
Administrator

Have you viewed the image of the Robert Brodie / Margaret Thompson marriage on Scotland's People, Sam? And if so, does it give any extra information? Also is there any extra information on Robert's marriage to Elizabeth Chapman?

And do you have details of Robert's death? You say he appears in the later censuses so I guess he died after the start of civil registration in Scotland? In which case his death certificate (which should be on Scotland's People) should give his parents' names?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-09-13, 17:52

Hi Sam,

I've got a Robert Brodie in one of my Fife branches. He married a Thomson - Grizel, though, not Margaret. If you do a search for Brodie on the forum, it should bring up my posts. I have a CD of pre-registration deaths in Fife, too, which I can check, but I'm away from home at moment.

The Fife Family History Society have made a great deal of info available on line for free - including internments in Dysart. Have you had a look at the web site?
Old 15-09-13, 13:20

Hi Shona,
I haven't had a look at the website you mention. I am going round in circles at the moment.
Our family always spelt Thompson with an h and because I have a marriage record for Robert to Margaret Thompson dated 1819, I am sure she must be the Margaret in the 1841 census who is with Christian Brodie (born 1773). They may be no relation at all but I wonder if this could be your Christian Brodie (nee Thomson).
Looking at Robert and Grizel's child Robert he was born 1807 some time later than my Robert in 1798. It might help if I could find a birth record for his son Laurence who was born c 1826 (Laurence was my great x 2 grandfather). who appears with him in the 1841 census in Largo.
Old 15-09-13, 14:41

I'll look into the Brodie family in tbe next day or so, Sam.

As regards the Fife Family History website, it has been rejigged and most of tbe previously free info now requires a sub.

Last edited by Shona; 15-09-13 at 14:44.
Old 15-09-13, 14:44
Administrator

Any answers to my questions in post #2, Sam?

Old 15-09-13, 21:49
Administrator

I got your PM, Sam, and I would suggest the next thing to do is to look at the images of the Robert Brodie / Margaret Thompson marriage and the Robert Brodie / Elizabeth Chapman marriage on Scotland's People as there may (or may not) be more information on there. And to find Robert's death registration and view the death certificate, also on Scotland's People, as that should give the names of his parents. It may well turn out that Christian is his mother.

Old 16-09-13, 09:40

Default Robert Brodie

Thank you for that. I will give it a try.
Old 16-09-13, 10:23

I agree with Kiterunner, Sam. You do need to look at the images on Scotland's People. As Robert Brodie died after statutory registration, I'd start with his death. That record should give the name of his parents and his occupation.

On Family Search, there is a Robert Brodie born in Dysart parish on 25 July 1798 and baptised on 5 August. Parents are John Brodie and Isabel Smart. There are two other children born to this couple in Dysart - George (15 April 1800) and Cath. (15 July 1892).

Looking at the pre-statutory registration deaths and burials in Dysart, there are 63 Brodies listed for that parish alone. However, the following burials will be interest to you.

- 23 Dec 1818, still-born child of Robert Brodie, mariner, Dunnikier, Dysart
- 8 March 1822, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor and feur, Dunnikier, Dysart. Grandchild of Marey Ritchy, dcsd
- 18 June 1823, still-born child of Robert Brodie, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor, Dunnikier, Dysart
- 19 Sept 1826, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor, Dunniker, Dysart
- 28 May 1830, still-born child of Robert Brodie, sailor, Dunnikier, Dysart

- 28 October 1847, Mgt Brodie, alias Thom, wife of Robt Brodie, seaman and feuar, 54, Dunnikier, Dysart

Going back to Family Search, there are two marriage records for Robert Brodie and Elizabeth Chapman on 10 September 1849 - one in Abbotshall parish and the other in Dysart. This implies she is from Abbotshall.

You will need to view the images for both marriages on Scotland's People to see if it is the same man.

Keep us posted about what you find.
Old 16-09-13, 13:32

Default Robert Brodie

Hello Shona,
Thank you so much for this. If only I could find a record of Robert's son Laurence. I know he was born in 1825. If this is the right Robert Brodie.
Everything else fits. I am banking on the fact the 1841 census in Dysart has Margaret with three daughters, or at least I think they are. Agnes appears later with Robert and Elizabeth and she is listed as Elizabeth's step daughter. The date of birth for Agnes is right as is the address in Mid Street.
I had found a marriage for an Alexander Brodie and Mary Ritchie in 1786 which would fit date wise for Robert.
As far as I can tell there is not a record for Laurence. I couldn't find one on Scotland's people either.
By the way what is a feuar?
Many thanks again, Sue