Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 31-08-12, 21:04
Administrator

I don't know offhand if any sites have this areas e-rolls online, but others who have family history in this area may know.

Otherwise, you would be best off contacting the local library who may either have the electoral rolls themselves or should be able to tell you where they are:

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1876

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-09-12, 08:24

I've just seen this thread about my home area, too late to add anything helpful
One of my sister's was born at Newbottle and I was born a couple of miles from there.

E-Rolls will/should be at Durham
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk
but it's worth enquiring at Sunderland Library as they took over the administration for the area after 1974 when Houghton-Le-Spring District was taken out of County Durham and put into the newly formed Tyne And Wear
http://www.sunderland-learnersfirst.org.uk
I've yet to find any E-Rolls for the area online
Old 01-09-12, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I don't know offhand if any sites have this areas e-rolls online, but others who have family history in this area may know.

Otherwise, you would be best off contacting the local library who may either have the electoral rolls themselves or should be able to tell you where they are:

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1876
Thanks Merry. I visited this place last year when I was doing my initial search. I'll give them a ring Monday along with Durham's record office mentioned by 'Durham Lady.
Rgds
Terry..
Old 22-12-14, 19:15

Hi,

Merry Christmas!

Not been here for a while but still researching my dads history. Following advice from here I have done some additional research on my dads mum. I now believe Frances (dads mum) was married in the late thirties and died 1942. Her name became Frances KIng (nee O'Neil). I have her marriage certificate, her spouse was Ralph King.

What I'm looking for now is any relatives on the Kings' side to see if anyone can shed any light on my dads mum. Maybe others know of her plight. What would the best way to tackle this?

Unfortunately I lost my mum on 4th January 2014 I was with her when she died and miss her dearly as I do my dad. I know the history of my mum but my dads is something I need to conquer. Any advice/ help would be most welcome.

Kind regards

Terry..
Old 22-12-14, 20:28
Administrator

Hi Terry,

Welcome back!

I've just read back through this thread and noticed I'd posted some basic details on Ralph King:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
1911 census, Ralph King aged 5, b Bishop Wearmouth Durham, son of John (coal miner) and Sarah King at 15 George St, Houghton le Spring.

Name: Ralph King
Birth Date: abt 1906
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1968
Age at Death: 62
Registration district: Durham Eastern
Inferred County: Durham
Volume: 1a
Page: 357
Assuming Ralph was a bachelor when he married I assume he had no know children? If that's the case then you may be best off searching sites to see if you can find anyone researching his parents and siblings as well as Ralph himself as some might miss him off their trees if he had no known descendants.

If you have access to Ancestry you could look at public trees on there or Genes Reunited.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-12-14, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil461 View Post
I think you may be spot on!
On my dad and mum's marriage cert (5 Jan 1952) he states his dad as 'Roderick' his mums brother. I believe my dad claimed Roderick as his dad to save embarrassment.
Rgds Terry..
This is common. You are lucky to know who Roderick was. It can be misleading when you don't know who the "father" is.
Old 29-12-14, 22:18

Thanks Merry & Kit

I will dig out the marriage certificate for Frances & Ralph King and check their address (I think it was Poplar Ave, Durham) I can then look who lived there prior to their marriage. I also think I may have Ralphs birth certificate.

In addition my dad Edward O'Neil had an uncle Thomas who moved to Oxfordshire. I remember going to see him with my dad when I was about 7. I think I may have found him on Findmypast the search engine I use. According to the transcription his death was registered in West Oxfordshire this would tie up with my visit in the 60's.

I have just ordered Thomas's death certificate and will now look towards researching his history. Maybe his family if he had one, shall be able to shed some light on the O'Neil family history. Fingers crossed!

My dad had many uncles and aunties according to 1911 census. I'm going to start researching them hopefully some may have descendants who may also be researching their family history.

Rgds
Terry..