Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-08-12, 01:09

New Update maybe something i was looking through the 1920 us census at my great great grandfather thomas j cusker who is married to catherine and children are thomas j
eugene mary john and rose ..... any way there is also a catherine lynch listed who was born in ireland and it says cousin is there any suggestions how i can investigate this further it may give me a link to what im looking for. it also says he was born in ireland and the date would be around 1896
Old 14-08-12, 08:44

Default Ann Carbin & Bernard Cosker

Hi Kevin,my great grandmother was Bridget Carbin from Eshrow (or Eshroe) which is part of Eshnadarragh one of the Roslea townlands. She had two sisters Ann Carbin c1847and Ellen Carbin c1856 and a brother John c1854. Their parents were John & Helen both born around 1800. I am sure Ann Carbin married Bernard Cosker c1845, so in a small way we are probably related. You might try www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/ a great source of info for the Roslea area.
Regards Dave Beagan (used to be Beggan but someone in the past changed it)
Old 14-08-12, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpayer View Post
Hi Kevin,my great grandmother was Bridget Carbin from Eshrow (or Eshroe) which is part of Eshnadarragh one of the Roslea townlands. She had two sisters Ann Carbin c1847and Ellen Carbin c1856 and a brother John c1854. Their parents were John & Helen both born around 1800. I am sure Ann Carbin married Bernard Cosker c1845, so in a small way we are probably related. You might try www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/ a great source of info for the Roslea area.
Regards Dave Beagan (used to be Beggan but someone in the past changed it)
oh awesome thanks alot for the information. where are you? is there any other info you have an your ggrandmothers sisters family?
Old 14-08-12, 10:06
Administrator

I've been having a look for Catherine Lynch to try to work out who her parents were, but not found one who fits. The most likely one seems to be the daughter of a John Lynch and Susan Maguire. But "cousin" on the census can mean a more distant relative, or it could mean she is his wife's cousin.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-08-12, 11:14

Hi Kevin, i'm sorry thats all I know about them. I live in Somerset in the UK, most of my family live in and around Manchester. One person who told me quite a lot about my family is
James Mullan who along with Clare McConville transcribed the records from St Teirneys. in Roslea. I think his ggrandmother was also Bridget Carbin. You can ask Clare for any info through her website. Regards Dave Beagan
Old 14-08-12, 12:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I've been having a look for Catherine Lynch to try to work out who her parents were, but not found one who fits. The most likely one seems to be the daughter of a John Lynch and Susan Maguire. But "cousin" on the census can mean a more distant relative, or it could mean she is his wife's cousin.
thank you so much for looking into. i will keep on searching and i do believe i am gona order the marriage license however is that a marriage licence in the original form or will it be typed and transcripted?
Old 14-08-12, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpayer View Post
Hi Kevin, i'm sorry thats all I know about them. I live in Somerset in the UK, most of my family live in and around Manchester. One person who told me quite a lot about my family is
James Mullan who along with Clare McConville transcribed the records from St Teirneys. in Roslea. I think his ggrandmother was also Bridget Carbin. You can ask Clare for any info through her website. Regards Dave Beagan
thank you so much. i will definetly try and talk with them. as i would also love to have family history on carbin as well. I grew up in new york. but i moved south down to the mtns in georgia
Old 14-08-12, 13:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcusker View Post
thank you so much for looking into. i will keep on searching and i do believe i am gona order the marriage license however is that a marriage licence in the original form or will it be typed and transcripted?
Sorry, what marriage licence do you mean?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 14-08-12, 13:12

marriage certificate from the the website you mentioned a little earlier in the forum
Old 14-08-12, 13:13
Administrator

I think Kevin may mean the marriage certificate.

If that's the case, if it's ordered from the Irish GRO then it will most likely be in period handwriting but any signatures on it will not be original - that will have just been written by the person who submitted the infrmation to the GRO at the time of the event. In order to obtain signatures I think you would have to approach the church itself. (probably easier to get the GRO certificate first and see whether anyone actually signed their names! If they didn't it usually would state: X, the mark of William Smith (or whoever))

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010