Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-09-15, 08:39
Administrator

Quote:
I have a Purvis contact from ancestry who thinks he was the son of Rev Reynold Hogg but from what I can read of Reynold Hogg's Will, he and wife Ann did not have any children.
I agree. I've just been looking at some Ancestry trees for the Hogg family and I don't think I've seen anything less based on any fact in a long time (and all trees seem to be copied from one person to another)!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-09-15, 10:07
Administrator

I've been trying to find a link back to Yorkshire on the line back from Sarah Hogg who married Thomas Purvis and who was mother-in-law of Richard Hogg. We know Richard who was born in Yorkshire about 1784 and may have been baptised in Wetherby as there's a good fit baptism there, son of John(Richard's first son was baptised John Thomas Hogg at Wetherby and may have been named for his two grandfathers - John Hogg and Thomas Purvis).

This is a summary of what I've got so far:

Sarah Hogg bap in London in 1748

father, Peregrine Hogg, died in London 1783. Date and place of birth and marriage unknown

grandfather John Hogg, married Judith Haster in London in 1702. Died before 1729 (his father's will codicil). Birth details unknown.

great-grandfather John Hogg, died in London in 1730. Buried St Martin Vintry, London. Headstone says he was 88, so born about 1642. Married Dorothy. This John had a nephew named Joshua Hogg (John's will - Joshua Hogg silkthrower). Joshua seems to be the son of Nathaniel Hogg of Leeds (London, England, Freedom of the City Admission Papers 1706 where Joshua is apprenticed as a silkthrower). So, presumably John (b abt 1642) and Nathaniel of Leeds were brothers. Nathaniel may be the one buried in 1698 in Leeds (he was definitely dead when his son Joshua was apprenticed):

Nathaniel Hogg of Leeds bar, there May 22, 1698 aged 54 (so b abt 1644)

So this is the first Yorkshire connection I've found, but a long way from Wetherby.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-09-15, 10:09
Administrator

Quote:
Nathaniel Hogg of Leeds bar, there May 22, 1698 aged 54 (so b abt 1644)
A different version of this burial has his age at 64.

Old 24-09-15, 09:10

Sarah Hogg bap in London in 1748

father, Peregrine Hogg, died in London 1783. Date and place of birth and marriage unknown

There is a burial of a Peregrine Hogg in London (St Vintry) on 26 Mar 1783 but it is "a child from St Edmond" and "the thing/foundling was buried in the Churchyard".(Copy of page from Burial Book on ancestry) Do you have another burial for Peregrine Hogg snr, father of Sarah as in previous post?
Old 24-09-15, 09:30

The above burial record should read "St Edmond the King" Just found another Peregrine Hogg buried 7 Jun 1779 at St Vintry also from "St Edmond the King" (a nearby parish or church?)
Too many Peregrine Hoggs for me and too far from my tree - will leave it to you to work out Merry. Good Luck!!
Old 24-09-15, 12:51
Administrator

Quote:
Peregrine Hogg, died in London 1783. Date and place of birth and marriage unknown

There is a burial of a Peregrine Hogg in London (St Vintry) on 26 Mar 1783 but it is "a child from St Edmond the King"
I don't have a burial for the PH who was the father of Sarah. I have a year recorded because he sighed the codicil to his will on 1 Jan 1783 and probate was granted on 24 Apr 1783, so he died between those dates.

Quote:
Just found another Peregrine Hogg buried 7 Jun 1779 at St Vintry also from "St Edmond the King"
That burial is for the nephew of Sarah's father. This PH's father was Thomas Hogg mariner, brother of the other PH who died in 1783.

You have to remember most of the Hoggs are not my relatives at all so much of this info is not on my tree!