Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 15-07-11, 10:00
tenterfieldjulie

Default Elizabeth Ivy Sloman nee Alt MM

Name: Elizabeth Ivy Sloman nee Alt, known as “Ivy” – Mrs. Oliver Sloman (S.H.O.)
Date and place of birth: 22 April 1889 Woodstock, NSW (Reg. Cowra No. 17506)
Names of parents: Henry Alt and Sarah Alice Lett
Marriage: 3 March 1908 to Samuel Henry Oliver Sloman, Dundee C of E, NSW, Australia
(Death Certificate has married at Dundas which is incorrect)
Occupations: Professional Dressmaker, wonderful Cook, Business woman, extremely self sufficient, she made it, fixed it .. living in rural isolation at “Ecquador” Pyes Creek – means of communication with outside world – party line phone ..
Military service: N/A
Addresses: Woodstock, NSW, where her father was Station Master; Henry died at 36 years of age, when Ivy was eight, in 1897. The family then moved to Bolivia, then in 1901 to Dundee NSW Railway Stations, where Ivy’s mother, Sarah, was Station Mistress; When Sarah remarried Sam Ward in 1905, Ivy, lived partly at “Brunswick” and in Glen Innes, where she boarded, while she was apprenticed to a dressmaker, Miss Cook, at age 16 1/2. Ivy then moved to Sydney and boarded with her mother’s youngest sister, Mrs. Bessie McCreanor (Mum thought she could have worked for a tailor and milliner);
(Ivy's father's parents were German and Scottish born, her mother Irish born and her stepfather English born - Ivy was known for her forthrightness). Returning to “Brunswick” for Christmas, she and Oliver decided to marry – she was not quite 19 years of age. After marriage they lived at Ten Mile Deepwater for 14 years; In 1922 Ivy and the girls moved to Alice? Street, Deepwater for the girl’s education; In around 1921 Ivy moved to a property that Oliver had bought some time earlier when he sold the Ten Mile. The sheep property was “Ecquador”, Pyes Creek, Via Tenterfield, NSW, where they lived for around 40 years; In the early 1960s, in retirement, they moved to 89 Logan Street, Tenterfield, where they were living at time of Ivy's death). Ivy had a number of major illnesses over the years, which had meant she had extended stays in hospitals. Her daughters lived in: Brisbane (Dorothy Christoe Born 1926 – 11 years after Jean); Tenterfield (Jean Smith Born 1915); Sydney (Muriel Leahy Born 1909) and Canberra (Rene Cameron Born 1911); so fortunately she had well placed homes away from home. Only since receiving Ivy’s death certificate, have I become aware that she was diagnosed with lympho sarcoma, before they moved to Tenterfield. It is written that the reason why Grandpa sold “Ecquador”, was because the price of wool and land was good, (he was 80 too), but now I also wonder if Grandma’s medical diagnosis, didn’t play a deciding role.
Date, place and cause of death: 1 September, 1965 District Hospital, Glen Innes, NSW
Reg. No. 1965/025999 – Cause: Hypostatic pneumonia (1 week); Lympho sarcoma (6 years) (Have just got cert.. yay)
Date and place of burial: 3 September, 1965, C of E Section, Dundee (hamlet), Northern Highlands of NSW, outside Glen Innes, Australia
Details of will: Unknown
Memorial inscription: Have photo
Old 16-07-11, 08:04
tenterfieldjulie

I have added the wedding photo of Oliver and Ivy Sloman to Oliver's thread. Grandma made her complete wedding outfit. I don't think another dressmaker would have been up to the standards expected by Grandma. She was also a beautiful pianist and had a very elegant grand piano with a Moorcroft bowl that sat on top. This area was out of bounds to the grandchildren!! I am now wondering if she didn't buy these items with proceeds from her dresssmaking.
Old 20-07-11, 03:31
tenterfieldjulie

When it is necessary to complete a medical history of family members, I have never included that my grandmother died from cancer. So thank you very much GF, because of the forum, I purchased grandma's death certificate. I will now fill in the extremely relevant details that my grandmother died from cancer.

Tags
togp3