Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-08-20, 23:07

Default Which one?

John Norman married Sarah Warren in Tiverton, Devon, 24th July 1814. They had eight children, all baptised in Tiverton - Robert (1816), George Henry (1820), John (1822, d1824), John James (1825), Georgiana (1826), Ellen (1829), Emma (1832) and Frederick (1835).

There were two people named Sarah Warren baptised in Tiverton in 1792 - one on 22nd April, the daughter of Thomas and Mary Warren; the other on 12th July, the daughter of Isaac and Sarah Warren. There are several Ancestry trees which include the family, and all of them show the Sarah who married John Norman as being the daughter of Isaac and Sarah. I can't see what evidence there is that she is definitely that one, rather than the other baptised the same year (and I know better than to trust an Ancestry tree unquestioningly!) - can anyone help please?

I had hoped perhaps one or both parents might have been witnesses to their marriage, which would help - but unfortunately not. One of the witnesses was a regular (also witnessed another marriage on the same page of the register), and the one unique to them was William Sheppard.

There is also a Sarah Warren marrying John Frost in Tiverton on 17th March 1821, which is probably whichever of the two born in 1792 hadn't already married John Norman - but the witnesses' names that time (William Perram and David Reeve) don't help either.
Old 28-08-20, 23:25
Administrator

The child of Thomas and Mary was born 3 Jan 1788.

The child of Isaac and Sarah was born 10 Jul 1792.

This is from the PR images on FMP.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-08-20, 01:03

Thanks Merry. The Sarah who married John Norman gave her age as 59 in 1851 and 68 in 1861, which suggests the one born later is more likely to be her - although given the frequent inaccuracy of ages on censuses, it's hardly conclusive proof.
Old 29-08-20, 08:04
Administrator

As well as the Sarah who married John Frost in 1821, there's another Sarah who married John Grant in 1813, who might be more likely to be the Sarah Warren b 1788. However, I can't find any census or death/burial that works to link either of those married women to a birth in 1788. I've only looked in the immediate vicinity of Tiverton though.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-08-20, 08:16

I think a lot of work needs to be done on both Warren families. Did they own land? Leave wills? Get mentioned in newspapers? What happened to any other children?

It is probably a lazy choice, and there may be no answer to be had, but it's worth following all three families to see if there are any clues.
Old 29-08-20, 08:19

Bit late, but there's also this:

Marriage of Thomas Reddross of Heytesbury in Wilts, merchant, bachelor and Sarah Warren of Tiverton in Devon, spinster, 1826
Old 29-08-20, 08:36
Administrator

That Thomas, of Bishopstrow, Wiltshire, seems to have left a will mentioning wife Sarah and other Warrens:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rce&pId=355672

His burial suggests he was b about 1797. I've not found them in 1851 at the moment, or her burial/death reg.

Old 29-08-20, 08:47
Administrator

There's Sarah Reddrop on the 1861 census b Tiverton aged 57 with children b Bishopstrow, Wiltshire.

There are clearly a lot of Sarah Warren's about!

Old 29-08-20, 17:12

Thank you both for your help. John Norman did leave a will, so I can see if that mentions any of his in-laws. He died in 1856 but the will wasn't proved until 1860, which strikes me as an unusually long time. Perhaps there was a dispute over it?
Old 29-08-20, 18:13
Administrator

The probate record says he died "on or about 4 September 1856". Is there a story there?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update