Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-06-18, 06:25

Thank you for trying , I knew it wouldn't be easy finding him . Maybe I should concentrate on finding the father Francois Gerome Alcouffe . And see If can find where he was born . He may have not been born in Paris as the name is prevelent in Aveyron compared to other areas of France . I also searching for a Franck Alcouffe who was Francois alcouffes son born in Uganda to Leona gullion. We believe he contacted my mother in law a few years ago asking to speak to his brother Franz who had passed away by then . He may be dead now but he may have had children . As we had no information of where he was. .
Old 12-03-19, 06:38

Hi , I have checked the name Alcouffe , on lots of sites and have found that the department with most people of that surname is Aveyron in south west France .It may be worth a punt to see if I can find Gerome , I have found some Gerome 's in Aveyron but the dates are early 1800 s if we can find some around the 1870s 80s it could help . Also I was wondering if Francois was captured by the Germans . As I saw a marcel Alcouffe on names of prisoner of war in Stalag . I'm afraid I did not keep the photo of it . But someone mentioned that it would not have been safe in tanganika for a French national . So if anyone's know anything about Stalag and war records . It may be worth a look . It may be another way of tracing him .
Old 12-03-19, 06:45

Also I believe that Franke Alcouffe was alive about 7years ago as a gentleman rang my mother in law and asked for Franz , and told her he was Franzs brother . But Frank had passed away earlier that year and although the gentleman did not say his name I believe it was Franke Alcouffe . . He could still be alive or he could have had children his self .
Old 12-03-19, 07:24

Hi , I thought I would have a look at the archives of Aveyron ,now I don't know if this is the Francois marcellin Alcouffe that we are looking for ,but I found a military record for the person with same name , stationed with a battalion in Montpellier . . The facts are we do not know how old Francois was when he got married in Uganda . So I suppose this could be him . But I will have to try and explore the rest of the archives to see if I can establish anything .but I suppose it's a start .
Old 12-03-19, 07:35
Administrator

Ancestry has these databases, but I don't have a worldwide sub:

Paris, France & Vicinity Marriage Banns, 1860-1902
Paris & Vicinity, France Electoral Rolls, 1891

I don't know if there are any more potentially relevant databases as these two don't show up in the card catalogue for me!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-03-19, 07:55

I was just looking on the departmental archives of Aveyron which are online . I have also found a military roll of a person with the same name born 1875 in Villefranche de Rouergue in Aveyron , recruitment as a locksmith . But it's states hime at the time of recruitment America . .this could be him as we do not know the age of the marriage of Francois in Uganda .
Old 12-03-19, 09:25

We now think ,that it may not be him ,as he would have been quite old when my husbands father was born over fifty , I'm not saying it's impossible , but he would have been an older father . So will have to maybe think again .
Old 12-03-19, 09:58

But it's still a possibility as I have found a birth on the Aveyron site for the same name in 1878 .
Old 12-03-19, 11:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
But it's still a possibility as I have found a birth on the Aveyron site for the same name in 1878 .
Which name, please? And what is the father's name on this birth?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-03-19, 11:19

Francois marcellin Alcouffe