Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-06-14, 18:45

Default TNA Help with ordering document

I found a naturalisation on TNA for a friend and sent her the link and explained how to order a copy. I ordered an 1830 denization years ago using the same method (I thought) without a problem.

She has received the following email

"Unfortunately the information that you have provided is insufficient to enable us to process this estimate. We cannot provide an estimate if it would be necessary to search through a document to find specific pieces of information which may be located randomly throughout a document.

In some cases, items which are listed in Discovery, our catalogue, are not physically separate documents. Instead they form part of a larger document and have to be located within that document in order to provide an estimate. We will make every effort to locate such items but, occasionally, this is not possible."

This was the results page on TNA -

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...bin+AND+Dublin

The second ref seems to be a duplicate so she was trying for the first. I told her to click on the "order a copy" button. The next page has the ref auto inserted so I said simply to click on "copy all pages".

Can anyone please explain what I have done wrong?

I can see that the records numbers are not allocated alphabetically, but presumed that they would be filed in numerical order and therefore easily accessible for copying.

Last edited by Just Gillian; 19-06-14 at 10:47.
Old 08-06-14, 19:18
Administrator

That's strange, Gillian, because if you search their catalogue for the reference HO 144/1776, only the one result comes back.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-06-14, 19:22

Exactly Kate. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for their reply.
Old 08-06-14, 19:33

It is difficult to tell how they are ordered. Sometimes documents are loose in a box, and have found their way out of order, so you get the whole box and have to work through them. I would have said that was more likely to be the case with the duplicates - unless it was in book form.

I can't imagine there is a single box for HO 144.
Old 08-06-14, 19:53

Thanks Phoenix.

HO144 apparently contains 63,710 items and the catalogue is "arranged in subject order within blocks of years". I tried to compare those figures with the file for the denization I ordered successfully but I see that one has now been digitised.

I've never had the opportunity to visit TNA so have no idea of the difficulty of the search necessary but I see that the charge for using their researcher is £100 per hour

Kate - apologies, I've just realised I completely forgot to thank you for looking.
Old 08-06-14, 20:50

I looked at some from the 1840s and they were perfectly easy to order and find. It might be worth emailing TNA with your query - Catalogue enhancements make no sense if you then can't get copies.
Old 08-06-14, 21:05

Thanks Phoenix.

I've just retrieved my password from them and thought I'd have a go at ordering myself - just in case friend had completed her application incorrectly.

I was a bit thrown by the bit in their email "Unfortunately the information that you have provided is insufficient to enable us to process this estimate." because, as Kate said, HO144/1776 is only the one document and there isn't any more information that can be added.

If I receive the same reply, I'll follow your suggestion and email them.
Old 08-06-14, 21:14

As you say, there is only one hit for that Ref so shouldn't involve any searching. The other ref is HO 334, so not a duplicate but the actual certificate. Are you sure she didn't request a price for the HO334 document, as that would be included with others, so would involve a search
Old 08-06-14, 21:36

It's possible Ann, although I had suggested she should try for the first result first. The TNA reply just quotes the estimate ref number, not the number of the document requested.

I'm not at all confident of my skills on TNA site, or of understanding their refs. I put HO334 in and the heading said Duplicate Certificates of Naturalisation, so I assumed all under that ref were duplicates.

I wonder what is included in the other doc I've just ordered then - I thought it would be the certificate plus, with any luck, the affidavits by those who had known him for the required number of years.
Old 08-06-14, 21:51

The HO144 ref is the one to get - far more detail