Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-11-15, 19:03

Question William James Burlington -- did he marry his niece?

Now, here's something I've stumbled across and thought looked interesting.

A bit of background:

As part of my Hendry family tree, I have a William James Burlington married to a Mary Jane Hendry -- they had two daughters (one deceased, one still alive) born whilst William was in his late 50s/early 60s.

William's first wife was an Elizabeth Brown. They married in Coleraine, Londonderry in 1895 and Elizabeth died in Glasgow in 1929, age 57. They had at least one daughter (name unknown) and possibly other children, but I'm not sure. I'd be keen to find out. The daughter is almost certainly deceased, as she must have been born c1895 - 1910.

I am actually in contact with William's surviving daughter, who knows nothing of her father's family and says that although she remembers her father's eldest daughter being at his funeral, she never knew her name. I suspect that was the only time they met.

What I find interesting about this story is that, having acquired various certificates from SP and GRONI, I have noticed the following:

- Elizabeth Brown's (the first wife) parents are given as John Brown, labourer (deceased) and Eliza Jane Brown m.s. Major (deceased).

- Mary Jane Hendry's (the second wife) mother was Annie Brown, who died in Glasgow in 1928, age 69. Her parents are given as John Brown, hand-loom weaver (deceased) and Elizabeth Brown m.s. Major (deceased).

- I have a marriage certificate (+ full scan from GRONI) for a John Robinson Brown and a Jane Elizabeth Major, married 3rd June 1850 in Ballymena. Both the bride and groom's parents are listed as weavers. I am fairly sure these are Annie Brown's parents.

So, would anyone here be inclined to agree with me that it looks like Annie and Elizabeth Brown were sisters? If so, this means that William James Burlington married firstly, Elizabeth Brown, sister of Annie Hendry m.s. Brown, and secondly, Mary Jane Hendry, daughter of Annie Hendry m.s. Brown.

I knew that the surname of William's first wife was Brown, but being such a common name it never occurred to me that it would be anything other than coincidence. On seeing John Brown and Eliza Major as parents, though, it seemed a bit strange.

What do you think? Am I trying to put 2 + 2 together and making 5, or does this look like a possible scenario? I'd be interested to see if I could prove this, as currently it's just speculation. Census records, perhaps?

Anyway, I was just curious what the general consensus was.
Old 28-11-15, 19:33
Administrator

It all looks pretty possible to me.

My 3xg-grandfather also married his dec'd wife's niece - in his case he had already produced a child with the niece shortly before his first wife's death, plus they were all living in the same house together as the niece was supposed to be looking after her sick aunt. I can't imagine the atmosphere was too great!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 28-11-15, 19:44

Ha, Merry, William & Mary Jane's first daughter was born before William's first wife's death.

Elizabeth died in 1929, and I don't think they divorced. This took a bit of work, as it turns out the first daughter (with Mary Jane) was registered under her mother's name in 1928, but had Burlington as a middle name. It's definitely her, as I've confirmed the details with her sister.

I've no idea who William's daughter with Elizabeth was. I'd be keen to find out, though, so I can work out what the relationships would be.
Old 28-11-15, 21:38

Well, I've found a 1921 Glasgow marriage certificate for an Emma Burlington - with William & Elizabeth as parents - and a James Milne.

However, I cannot find a birth index for an Emma Burlington on either SP or GRONI, nor is there an Emma Burlington or Emma Milne (other names Burlington) on SP.

Would anyone like to help me find out about her, please?
Old 28-11-15, 22:27

Another piece of the puzzle is the 1901 Scotland census. Here we have William and Elizabeth, along with his mother-in-law Eliza Jane Brown. I also found a death certificate for her on SP, but couldn't find anything for John. I think he probably died in Ireland some years prior.

This strongly suggests that Elizabeth Brown was indeed Annie Brown's sister, and thus William later married his niece.

The 1901 census has a one year-old Emily Burlington as William's daughter, whereas the birth certificate on SP has Emily as being Joseph Burlington's daughter, so I'm not sure what that's about. EDIT: The 1911 census (from SP) has what looks like an 'Emmie' Burlington, aged 11, as William & Lizzie's daughter. It says she was born in Scotland, but on the 1901 census it says she was born in Ireland. The 1911 census also confirms that she was their only child.

Going by her marriage certificate, Emma Burlington must have been born about 1900, but I've no idea where, or what happened to her after she married James Milne.

Last edited by James18; 28-11-15 at 23:10.
Old 29-11-15, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
The 1901 census has a one year-old Emily Burlington as William's daughter, whereas the birth certificate on SP has Emily as being Joseph Burlington's daughter, so I'm not sure what that's about.
According to the 1901 census on Ancestry, there are two Emily Burlington's of about the right age.

Here is a transcript of the two households:

256 Garngad Road, Dennistoun, Glasgow Townhead

William J Burlington, 30, head, b Ireland, tramcar driver
Lizzie Burlington, 27 wife, b Ireland
Emily Burlington, 1, dau, b Ireland
Lizzie J Brown, 70, mother-in-law, b Ireland
James Brown, 30, boarder, b Ireland, labourer on railways
John Burlington, 32, boarder, b Ireland, labourer in (warchman?)

115 Clydesdale Buildings, Clydesdale Road, Holytown, Lanarkshire

Joseph Burlington, 28, head, b Ireland, stoker in iron works
Matilda Burlington, 5, dau, b Bellshill, Lanarkshire
Thomas John Burlington, 4, son, b Bellshill, Lanarkshire
William James Burlington, 2, son, b Glasgow
Emily Burlington, 2 mo, b Mossend, Lanarkshire
Jane Burlington, 55, mother, b Ireland, annuitant

It looks as if the birth record you have looked at on Scotland's People is for the Emily Burlington who is part of the second household. However, given the repetition of names and the fact both households are Irish or of Irish extraction, then they could be connected.

Have you looked at the Valuation Rolls to search for the family? You can check the 1913/1914 for free on the Glasgow Story website:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/valuation-rolls/

Garngad or Garngadhill weren't incorporated into Glasgow until the early 1900s for BMDs, btw.
Old 29-11-15, 11:50

Thank you very much, Shona.

Yes, I've seen the certificate for Joseph's daughter Emily. I have seen William's 1901 census, and I have it linked to him on my Hendry family tree on Ancestry. I am fairly sure that Joseph and William were related somehow, as a W.J. Burlington is an informant or witness on another certificate I have, which is someone from Joseph's family. I can check that later.

I had thought that this William James Burlington may have been a son of William & Elizabeth Brown, but I viewed the scan on GRONI and he's actually Joseph's son. They are from the same town, though, so they must surely be brothers or cousins. It seems Joseph and Matilda had a number of children born in Bellshill, and that (IIRC) their Emily was one of them.

I have a copy of the 1911 census from SP, which lists William, Elizabeth and Emily, and she is confirmed as their only child. I don't think the 1911 census transcripts are up on Ancestry yet, though. That census has her born in Scotland, whereas on the 1901 census it says Ireland -- I've not been able to find anything yet. Her name looks to be 'Emmie Burlington' but the handwriting is tiny and very squiggly. The address is 109 [something] Street, but I can't read it.

There is a second Emma Burlington marriage on SP, to an Arthur Smith in Glasgow in 1941. Emma's first marriage was to James Milne in 1921, and I wasn't able to find a record of divorce on the same site Kate found the Hendry - Broadley divorce last week. Presumably if James had died then the marriage would have been an Emma Milne, so I'm querying that one. I can't view the certificate to double-check, anyway.

After 1921 it's anyone's guess; I can find no record of any Emma Burlingtons, Milnes or Smiths (with Burlington as a maiden name) dying in Scotland.

If you search SP for surname Milne, forename Burlington, there is a 1935 (?) birth, but I've run out of credits now. It's possible that is a child of Emma & James, with Burlington as a middle name.

Last edited by James18; 29-11-15 at 11:57. Reason: Corrections
Old 29-11-15, 12:08

Playing around with the Northern Irish Burlingtons, I have put together the following.

Births in Ballymoney reg district to parents Thomas Burlington and Clark(e) - married in Ballymoney in 1864:

Mary, 15 May 1865, Kilrea, Derry
Emily, 25 Nov 1866, Derry
William James, 13 March 1869, Derry
Mary (or Margaret), 5 March 1871, Kilrea, Londonderry
Joseph Clarke, 15 May 1873, Kilrea
Sarah Anne, 21 May 1876, Kilrea
Charlotte Mina, 1877
John, 6 June 1879, Kilrea
Elizabeth, 21 March 1881, Craigavole, Londonderry

Kilrea is in Co Londonderry about 15 miles from Coleraine.

There is a the birth of a Joshua registered in Ballymoney in 1876 to Sarah Burlington.

Thomas Burlington died in Q4 1899, aged 59, Ballymoney. Poss the family moved to Scotland after his death?

So it looks as if the heads of the two Burlington households with daughters named Emily were brothers.

- William James Burlington married Lizzie Brown in Ballymena in Q3 1895.
- Joseph Burlington married Ellen Picket in Coleraine in Q1 1894.

There are other Burlington births in Roscommon, Dublin North and Dublin South.
Old 29-11-15, 12:13

Yes, William's parents were Thomas Burlington and Jane Clark, so it doesn't surprise me that Joseph would be his brother. I remember William being 'uncle' on one of the certificates he is on, which I think was probably the death of one of Joseph's children.

That Thomas Burlington will be their father, indeed.

Unfortunately, if Emma Milne/Smith left Scotland (as seems likely) that I don't think I will be able to find her =/
Old 29-11-15, 12:13

William James Burlington and Joseph Burlington were brothers, I believe (see above).

Can you post a scan of the 1911 census for WJB, please? So we can hlp to decipher it. There are, as far as I know, no plans for the 1911 census to be transcribed on Ancestry. SP have the monopoly.

Many Scottish women would remarry using their maiden surnames, if they were widowed. They may even use their maiden names on census records after they have been widowed.

What about the death of William James? It should mention both of his marriages on that record.