Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-09-16, 14:13

Yeah, I suspect you're right, Kate. It's a shame we'll probably never know for sure the details of the adoption (if that's what happened), but it would suggest Lizzie didn't want or couldn't have children. William had two daughters with his second wife, the youngest of whom is still alive. I'd been hoping to find out more about her half-sister for her, but I've run into all sorts of brick walls.

I'll get Emma's second marriage certificate (1941, to Arthur Smith) when it's available on SP, but because I can't find a record of her birth I don't know of a way to find her DOB, and therefore her death certificate is looking very elusive indeed -- particularly as she very likely died in England (I've trawled SP for anything Burlington, Smith or Milne), in which case I'd have to order no end of Emma Smith certificates. Needle in a haystack, clearly.

It's very unfortunate.
Old 22-09-16, 14:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
Yeah, I suspect you're right, Kate. It's a shame we'll probably never know for sure the details of the adoption (if that's what happened), but it would suggest Lizzie didn't want or couldn't have children.
"Not wanting children" didn't make much difference in those days!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-09-16, 14:30
Administrator

My first mother-in-law had one child when she was 20, a few months after her wedding, and another when she was 42 with no contraception in between!

My mother had a friend in the '50s who was told by her husband-to-be the day before they married that there would be no sex because he didn't want any children. They still got married and there were no children.

My great-grandmother told her OH she only wanted two children and that's what happened (1880s) until she 'accidentally' became pregnant with a third around 8 years after her second child. She then had a fourth a year later so the third would have someone to play with and then no more (info from the third child as an old lady).

Having said all that, of course I have selected these three from thousands of families on my tree - most of the rest had a child every couple of years of marriage until the woman was either widowed or reached her mid-40s.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-09-16, 18:55

By the way, I just want to say again that I really appreciate your help and interest. You've both been absolutely wonderful over the past year or so and it really does mean a great deal to me. Thank you.