Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 25-01-11, 12:29

Default Robert CARR

Added with kind permission of P. A. of NSW Australia.

Robert Carr and P. A. are descended from my husband's great grandfather's sister Dorothy Hughes.

Robert and Mary Ann were married in Morpeth Northumberland England on 16th October 1880. Robert was 24 years old and Mary Ann 22 years old. Robert was a coalminer and both he and Mary Ann were living at Barrington Colliery at the time according the their marriage certificate. Robert's
father John was deceased at the time of the marriage and Mary Ann's father Joseph was listed as being a coalminer.
Thomas Hedley, thought to be Mary Anns brother and John Elrod were witnesses to the marriage. They were married in The Register Office and both signed the certificate with a cross.
With their children John 3 years and Margaret 4 months old Robert and Mary Ann immigrated to Australia. The young family sailed for 58 days aboard the "Gulf of Venice", leaving Plymouth England on 7th December 1884 and arriving in Sydney Australia on 3rd February 1885.
They settled in Newcastle NSW Australia. This is where they had their third child Joseph Hedley Carr. Three more children were born in Australia and died as infants. Two were named Dorothy Ann and the third William.
With their three living children Robert and Mary Ann returned to England in 1894.
During that journey their third son William Hohenzollern Biscay CARR was born at sea in the Bay of Biscay. The family were sailing on the ship Hohenzollern, hence poor William being given such a name.
After their return to England four more children that we know of were born. Dorothy (Dolly), Jane (Jinny), Richard and Robert. There may have been more.
Mary Ann died on 30 May 1913 at 4 Old Gate Row, Bebside Blyth England.

Robert would eventually return to Australia to live as would all of his children. He died on 30th January 1922 and was laid to rest at the Church of England Cemetary Kurri Kurri NSW in an unmarked grave.

Robert Carr and family c1902

Old 28-01-11, 18:43
Administrator

Thanks, Daphne, I'd always thought that once they went to Oz they stayed there - I wonder how many families came back and then went again.

Old 30-01-11, 16:27

I thought the same but when you look at census records it's surprising how many families have children born in other countries. Obviously for some the grass wasn't always greener.
Old 02-02-11, 21:14

Newcastle is still a coal-mining area.
Old 05-02-11, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle John View Post
Newcastle is still a coal-mining area.
Yes it is, we were there 2 years ago. It has some lovely areas around with very expensive properties along the water front. There's a wonderful old fort, Fort Scratchley, that is now open to the public and well worth a visit.
Old 06-02-11, 15:48

Lovely picture and poem Daphne.

I have a similar question with my FMMF. He went to USA and was back in Lincolnshire 6 years later with a wife and child. A huge undertaking I would have thougt.
Old 26-03-11, 13:29

Nice little story Daphne.
Perhaps it is one family member, usually the wife I would think, who pines for home and when she dies the husband goes back. Have seen it happen also after WW11 with brides who go back to the home country after the husband dies but the children stay on.
I have GG Uncles who went off to California and the Yukon but return afterward: Perhaps with money but probably relieved of the funds they brought with them.
Old 27-04-11, 20:56

My Evans left Shropshire for Newfoundland in 1820's but were back within 7 years...7 years tied passage probably, and they did the 7 years and came home
Old 28-04-11, 00:52
tenterfieldjulie

Talking to a lady the other day at a family reunion, her brother came out to Sydney to a furnished unit that she had paid for. I think this was in the 1980s, she gave them time to settle in and went to visit, found their bags in the hall and she thought they hadn't unpacked!! They stayed for five days, he said it never stopped raining, packed the family up and went back to the UK. A few years later they came back to Ipswich in Qld and when they were settled he let her know.. They are still here !! .. I've heard of a number of cases where that happens!! All that packing and unpacking ..