Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 03-12-10, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
What a sad story, but how wonderful to have the photos of her. Have you made contact with her descendants?
Well, using the information given to me by Barnardo's about her marriage and son, I was consequently able to make contact with the grandson, on genesreunited. All he or his father ever knew was that she came from a home, so the information on her mother and siblings was initially very exciting for him.

It was all going very well and I'd emailed him many photos and certificates and he's responded very happily. However, when he finally received information about the pivotal events in 1908 and his Nan's dispatch to Barnardos he stopped corresponding completely. My further emails remained unanswered. I can only imagine that the stark reality of what my great-grandmother actually did hit home and he wanted no more to do with it.

It was sad and disappointing, but ultimately understandable. At least now he knows the facts and can continue any research if he sees fit. His mystery solved. But from my point of view it would have been nice to correspond further and exchange more knowledge, since he is technically my mum's cousin and we could have benefited each other's understanding of the family. Some things are just not meant to be though. I can see why he might want to leave things as they are.
Old 03-12-10, 18:55

It must have come as quite a shock to him, finding out that his grandmother was rejected like that, for whatever reason. When all is said and done, it must have been very difficult for your great grandmother to put her daughter into care. Perhaps in time he will come to terms with it, after all it's not your fault.