Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 28-11-10, 22:16

Merry, their first child, John McCrohon Jr, was born in Portugal in 1827.
After that there are two children born, according to one researcher, in England. William Denis McCrohon and Jeremiah Joseph McCrohon. Both of these children are said to have died in 1834. John Sr and his family went with his regiment to NSW in 1832/33.
Therefore the two boys would have died in NSW and I can find no evidence of this in the NSW records after trying all the variations of the spelling of the name McCrohon that I can think of nor can I find any record of their births in England. The next child was born in NSW in 1833, Sidney Peter.
It is possible, I suppose, that the birth of two boys were recorded in some military records.
Seems kind of speculative to me, but once we start looking back in time it is all a bit foggy. Like my brain.
Old 28-11-10, 22:22

Oh, forgot to respond to the second part of your question. Amelia/Emily du Croix is a bit of a mystery; could be French, maybe from Belguim, no-one knows for certain. No date of birth just a C1798 for the year. Her parents are said to be Sidney Pierre du Croix and Sarah Unknown. That a lot of help, isn't it?
Old 28-11-10, 23:02
tenterfieldjulie

According to John's Service Records from the National Archives, it was noted that he served in the West Indies from April 1819 to April 1826. (I think this is noted because in his pension? they were only allocated half pay). The next positive fact is when John Junior is born in Portugal as Ammanda says. John and Emily therefore could have been married in the West Indies, England, Portugal, France or Belgium - if you can find the marriage Merry, you are an absolute genius.
Old 28-11-10, 23:06
tenterfieldjulie

The two boys I believe had headstones in Sydney in an early burial ground , but I think the cemetery has since disappeared. I think someone sent me some details, I'll email them when I find them Ammanda.
Old 29-11-10, 07:31
tenterfieldjulie

Amanda I will email you.
I found listed in Monumental Inscriptions at Bunnerong (the headstones etc were moved here after the Elizabeth & Devonshire Street Cemeteries were cleared.) Grave No. 1409: William Denis and Jeremiah Joseph McCROHON the sons of Quarter Master Serg't John & Emily McCROHON of the 4th or Kings Own Reg't, the former died 18th February 1834 aged 4 years and 10 months, and the latter died 15th June 1834 aged 4 years and 5 days. In 1969 the Headstone was Upright and the Condition Good.
So William was born April 1829 and Jeremiah born June 1830, what a tragedy.
Old 30-11-10, 03:41

Julie: Thanks for the information. Wonder why there are no records for the deaths. I can't find their births in England either. More mystery. A
Old 30-11-10, 08:56
Administrator

Not really a mystery, Ammanda - they were born before civil registration started in the UK and died before civil registration started in NSW, weren't they?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-11-10, 10:12
tenterfieldjulie

Yes 1856 in Australia. I compiled a pre-compulsory-registration BDM register for Tenterfield from church records, newspapers, family bibles and family traditions. The earliest being 1844, this area was only opened up in the the late 1830s. Seeing as how the priest/minister carried his notebook in his saddlebag and the areas were huge, it is simply amazing that any records survived. Tenterfield Catholic records were found in Grafton, Armidale and Ipswich.
Old 01-12-10, 15:24

Now that I have John's service record (thanks to Julie) and seeing where the Regiment was deployed I have doubts that he met Amelia du Croix in France. He was not at Waterloo and so she probably is not from Belgium. On the other hand there is a prodigious length of time from his deployment with the Army of Occupation in France, 1815 through part of 1818, until his first child is born in 1827.
It seems more likely to me that he met her in the Caribbean where he served for almost seven years; the entire time the Regiment was deployed there. The 4th then came back to England for a short time in 1826 and went straight on to Portugal from December 1826 to July 1827. John Patrick was born there July 27, 1827.
Perhaps we should be looking for Amelia and a marriage in the French West Indies. That covers a lot of islands but at least we can rule out Haiti.
I have given it a go but no joy yet.
Old 12-03-11, 05:45
tenterfieldjulie

Ammanda I was looking through some photos that I took at the Gray reunion at Elsmore. There were printed sheets on the walls on the McCrohons. Some of these sheets were hard to photograph because they were covered in plastic.
Under UK Military Records it had: John McCrohon joined 3rd/East Kent Regt 1806. Lieutenant 1808. Retired injured as captain on half-pay. Father of John & William? Have you heard anything of this? This could explain how John born 1795 Limerick, ended up enlisting at Cueta aged 15, if his father was in the military based in England.
It also had that the second child of John & Emily, William Dennis was born in Scotland April 1829 and third child, Jeremiah Joseph, born England 10 June 1830.

Tags
to3g5