Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-01-18, 09:56
Administrator

Thanks. I have merged the Bearkins account into yours, Qwackers.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-07-18, 06:23

Hi , I have been pondering about the Scottish connection , could it not be that the connection is not Ellen Callen , but William Grimshaw born in 1854 in Glasgow could is grand father have been Scottish , as there are quite a few Grimshaws in Glasgow can we look into that . Thanks
Old 02-07-18, 06:33

Sorry I mean great grand father as I think William Grimshaw father was born in Blackrod . In Lancashire . I was speaking to a relative of mine who I haven't seen for a long time , and they agreed that there was a auntie in Glasgow , as my mum and dad would visit her when in Scotland . Thanks
Old 02-07-18, 07:06

I have been looking for a reason why people would move to Scotland in the 1830s , a lot of Irish people were encouraged to move there to have a better quality of life and there was a shortage of workers . It was a big pull factor . The same reason may have applied to people moving from England . The living in the court houses was probably horrendous , and I suppose if you thought it would be better you would take a chance .
Old 02-07-18, 07:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
Hi , I have been pondering about the Scottish connection , could it not be that the connection is not Ellen Callen , but William Grimshaw born in 1854 in Glasgow could is grand father have been Scottish , as there are quite a few Grimshaws in Glasgow can we look into that . Thanks
Have you looked back on this thread yet?

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...+grimshaw+1854

I think you would do better to find out exactly who this aunt or great aunt was who you used to visit in Scotland/Glasgow. If she is a descendant of family in Scotland from much further back I don't see how she can be your aunt or great aunt, but it might be simpler to work out if we knew who she was.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-07-18, 07:26
Administrator

So you are thinking about the paternal great-grandfather of William Grimshaw b 1854 in Glasgow?

From that other thread we know his father was b about 1825-9ish in Wigan/Blackrod (various census records). When that William Grimshaw married Ellen Callard in 1844 he didn't give a father's name at the marriage, but you have his father as William Grimshaw b Backrod?

Please could you post up everything you know about William sr from Blackrod, so we don't repeat the same lookups. Thanks.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-07-18, 07:40
Administrator

I see two years ago we spent time unsuccessfully trying to sort out the baptism for illegitimate William X b about 1825-9.

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/F...rod#post315396

We seem to have given up before coming to a conclusion. Did you find anything more? I'm a but confused as to how his paternal grandfather is a Grimshaw when his father seems to be unknown (ie the great-grandfather and grandfather of William b 1854).

Old 09-07-18, 05:49

No we didn't find anything else out from that . So the matter was unconcluded And the trail went cold as we couldn't find the right person .
Old 09-07-18, 07:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
No we didn't find anything else out from that . So the matter was unconcluded And the trail went cold as we couldn't find the right person .
I'm not sure which post you are referring to.

Old 09-07-18, 20:14
Administrator

Presumably post #17.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update