Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 27-07-11, 10:12
tenterfieldjulie

Default William George Greentree, Elsmore, NSW

Name: William George Greentree
Date and place of birth: 27 December 1880/1, Tamworth NSW, Australia
Names of parents: Thomas and Catherine Greentree nee Cohen (on marriage and death certificate)
Marriage: 9 August 1902 RC Church, Inverell, NSW to Annie Agatha Gray (Have marriage registration in name of Wm. George)
Occupation(s): Tin Miner
Military service: Unknown
Addresses where they lived: Elsmore, Via Inverell, NSW Australia.
Date, place and cause of death: 14 December, 1953 District Hospital Inverell - Brain injuries accidentally received from a fall in the Hospital Ward - Inquest finding. (Death certificate in the name of William Greentree born Tamworth age 73)
Date and place of burial: 16 December 1953 - Roman Catholic Cemetery, Elsmore, Via Inverell, NSW, Australia
Details of will: Unknown
Memorial inscription: Have photo. Small rural cemtery a few kilometres from Inverell in inland Northern NSW - William George Greentree Date of death 14/12/1953 aged 72 years (death cert says 73)

Children 12: Laurie (Ben Lomond), Dora Lindsay (Toowoomba), Geoffrey (Sydney), Clarice Wilson (Sydney), Mavis Doran (Uralla), Jim (Elsmore), Anne Waite (Newcastle), Sid (Muswellbrook), Lorna Curry (Manly), Les (Elsmore), Reg (Inverell) and 1 female still living

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 06-11-14 at 11:21.
Old 27-07-11, 11:17

You've got me thinking Julie.....

I'm sure I had some rellies from Elsmore...thinking along the Grant line.

I vaguely remember this odd story about a house being divided and one member of the family had a different address but lived in the same house. I know...that sounds idiotic, but that's what I remember.

We went there ages ago.......from Glen to Inverell and turned left just before Inverell then there was a T junction........

I rambling.....lol. It will come to me......(I hope)
Old 28-07-11, 09:50
tenterfieldjulie

Libby, Just recently a cousin from Inverell got a Govt. Grant and an Inverell Club erected name blocks on all of the unmarked graves in the Cemetery. It has a very well maintained community hall as well. I attended a family reunion there for the Gray/Greentrees in 2008.
Old 02-11-14, 08:33
tenterfieldjulie

I've just been looking at Greentree online information and some research has been done to say that, although on his marriage William George Greentree said his parents were Thomas Greentree and Catherine Cohen, they were in fact his grandparents. That his mother was in fact Mary Ann Greentree, their oldest daughter, who gave birth to a George Greentree in 1878 at Tamworth and that he later acquired the name William. It said that he was brought up by Thomas and Catherine and who had a son Richard in 1879 so the two boys were brought up as brothers.. The William I thought was WG, was reg 1871 at Windsor and they said he was William Edward. The funny thing was that some years back I was talking to someone in Tamworth about why the Greentree book called They Stood Tall was never published and they said that 2 ladies objected to some information that came out in the proof of this book. I am now wondering if this is the information they object to, or whether it was something else. How do I go about trying to unravel this information? Is it possible. I have to been unable to see conclusively whether Mary Ann Greentree married or died after WG was born. Catherine Cohen is sometimes called Katherine and sometimes Kathleen. Any suggestions appreciated. Julie
Old 02-11-14, 12:09
Administrator

The NSW BDM site lists two William Greentrees born in 1872, one the son of Thomas and Catherine, registered at Windsor, and one the son of George and Emma, registered at Grafton, but neither of them has a middle name listed.
Then George Greentree, son of Mary, was born 1880, registered at Tamworth. No middle name for him either.

The William, son of George and Emma, died 1935 Grafton, and William, son of Thomas and Catherine, died 1954 at Inverell. Neither of them has a middle name shown on the death index.

I can't see a death for George, son of Mary, on there.

But if the William who died in 1954 was really George, son of Mary, what happened to William, son of Thomas and Catherine? I don't see another death reg for him. Of course he could have died outside of NSW.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 02-11-14, 12:15
Administrator

Mary A Greentree born 1858 Windsor, parents Thomas and Catherine.
I can't see what happened to her either.

Old 02-11-14, 12:46
Administrator

On William George's probate file from 1953 his occupation is pensioner, but on the 1953 e roll he is a miner. Could just be because they hadn't updated the occupation on the e roll though. But it seems to fit better with being born in 1880 than in 1872.

Old 02-11-14, 14:08
Administrator

Going back to Mary or Mary Ann Greentree, some trees on ancestry show her marrying a Charles Frederick Fretson, or Frederickson, or other variations on that name, in 1881. It comes up on NSW BDM as Charles F Fretson / Mary Ann Greenhee, 1881, Walcha. Then the public trees show her death as 1921 at Caulfield, Victoria. According to Ancestry's Australian Death Index, the entry is for Mary Ann Fredrickson, age 63, Cauld, Victoria, father Carl Fredrickson, mother Gruntrie, 1921. Registration number ??985. So if ancestry's data is in a bit of a muddle, it could be her.

Old 02-11-14, 14:16
Administrator

Electoral register, Victoria, 1914
Frederickson:
Carl Frederick, 4 Vickery St, Malvern East, labourer
Carl Richard, 4 Vickery St, Malvern East, driver
Frederick John, Vickery St, Malvern East, driver
Louis, 4 Vickery St, Malvern East, labourer
Mary Ann, 4 Vickery St, Malvern East, home duties
Willie Henry, Vickery St, Malvern East, labourer.

Old 02-11-14, 14:18
Administrator

I was just wondering whether Willie Henry could be William George, but there is a William Henry Fretson born 1888 Yarra Flats, Victoria, son of Charles and Mary Ann, so never mind.
Oh, and looking back, William George was married long before 1914 anyway.

Tags
togp4