Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 4xGreat-Grandparent

Old 12-02-12, 03:41

Default Mary Pearce

Name Mary Pearce
Date and place of birth unknown
Names of parents unknown
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages 7 Jun 1794, Chieveley Berkshire to Joseph Sellwood
Occupation(s) - if any
Addresses where they lived Chieveley, Berkshire
Date, place and cause of death unknown
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any
Old 12-02-12, 11:27

Might not be anything but FMP has burials at Wasing - about 10 miles from Chieveley - for a Joseph Sellwood 5th Apr 1848 aged 79 and Mary Sellwood of Aldermaston, wife of Joseph 5 Mar 1837 aged 65
Old 12-02-12, 11:32

It looks like it is the same couple - on familysearch daughters Hannah and Lucy are baptised at Chieveley 1795 and 1797 followed by Mary in 1798 at Wasing - there are a few others at Wasing and Aldermaston.
Old 12-02-12, 11:36

There's a possible baptism for Mary at Welford 13 Sep 1772, daughter of John and Hannah. Welford is quite near Chieveley.
Old 13-02-12, 01:57

Thanks for that Asa. I have some Aldermaston baptisms but not the one at Wasing and neither of the deaths (although I have found a death registration for Joseph, I don't have the certificate). Mary's baptism looks very promising too. Some more things to check when I get to the Berkshire RO
Old 10-06-12, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenoco View Post
Thanks for that Asa. I have some Aldermaston baptisms but not the one at Wasing and neither of the deaths (although I have found a death registration for Joseph, I don't have the certificate). Mary's baptism looks very promising too. Some more things to check when I get to the Berkshire RO
Hello Jenoco,
Not sure if we have been in touch ages ago re: Sellwoods and Cox's. The Sellwoods are my paternal family. I too have the burials of Joseph and wife Mary from the Berks FHS burial Index cd.

I am pretty sure that the 1772 christening for Mary Pearce is the right one. It certainly fits the burial age in 1837. John and Hannah Pearce would appear to have had another child bap in Wickham, and maybe two much later ones in the 1780's in Winterbourne. (IGI)
The latter may not be the same John and Hannah because there is a Hannah buried at Welford (no age given) in 1776. Also an 82 yr old John Pearce in 1832. None of these places is far distant from Chieveley.

In 1795 Joseph Sellwood applied for help from the Newbury Overseers when living at Wasing as he was ill but I don't have any followup to say what he received, if anything. In 1841 Joseph is living with/next door to, his son, James, at Aldermaston.
Vicwinann
Old 12-06-12, 03:19

Hi Vicwinann

Yes, I believe we corresponded some years ago on the Sellwoods and Coxes. I'm quite a bit further forward now than I was then!

Thank you for the confirmation on Mary Pearce and also the information on Joseph, which I didn't have - I get to the Records Office very infrequently.

I'm still working on the connection with the Stare family, but will hopefully get there in the end.

Thanks again,

Tags
to4g28