Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 24-10-17, 04:28

Default Help required search for army record

Hi , I want to find my fathers army service record , he served in the army , before joining the R.A.F in 1939 . I have no service number or anything . But do remember seeing his papers for both services . Have got some records from the R.A.F but all the m.o.d sites can't find him .any help please ? I think he was a warrant officer . Thanks qwackers
Old 24-10-17, 08:05
Administrator

Quote:
but all the m.o.d sites can't find him
Do you mean you can't find him on any of the 'MoD' sites?

If that's what you mean, then I can reassure you that you shouldn't be able to find his army papers anywhere online if he was in the army after 1920.

You would have to apply for their records from the MoD and only the immediate next of kin can apply. Records are supplied free to servicemen or their widows and cost £30 for other next of kin.

Here's a link:

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

If you in fact meant the MoD can't find him in their records (ie you have already made the £30 application) then I'm not sure we can help you here except to say have you checked all the information you gave them was correct!

I think I read something recently that the length of time it is taking for the MoD to find records and issue them to NOK has got less so now down to a few months rather than the 1year+ of a few ears ago.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 30-10-17, 05:10

Default Message

Hi , , yes I have managed to get My Fathers papers from the R.A?f . But they say they cannot trace any other records such as army records . And have no idea . As my father was in the army prior to joining the RAF . So I'm stuck .
Old 30-10-17, 06:36
Administrator

Quote:
Hi , , yes I have managed to get My Fathers papers from the R.A?f . But they say they cannot trace any other records such as army records .
When you say 'they' do you mean the MoD or the RAF? It reads as if you are saying the RAF said they can't trace army records, but they wouldn't be able to - you would have to make a separate application to the MoD and pay a separate £30. Did you do that?

I don't suppose your father got married whilst he was in the army?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-10-17, 06:36

No he got married whilst in the R.AF in Scotland , the problem is I have no info at all service number or anything . When I have rang up the M.O.D for info they say they can't find him . So I'm stuck now . He definetly was in the army as my sister saw his papers as well as me . But without a service number it's going to be hard .
Old 31-10-17, 06:44
Administrator

Is his name a fairly common one (I'm not asking you to post it!)? It may be that they can't identify the right record, rather than not having the record.

Quote:
But without a service number it's going to be hard .
The onus is definitely on you to find some further info!

Old 31-10-17, 13:27

@Qwackers

Don't phone them, do the online form via the MOD website. In my case (for my grandfather), my mum had to sign the forms (as his daughter; a next of kin was required) and I had to provide scans of his birth and death certificates, to prove that he was dead. I assume the full names and dates also help the Army track the person in question.

I doubt you need his regimental number... a lot of families aren't going to know that.
Old 01-11-17, 05:26

I will try that thanks
Old 15-12-17, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
I will try that thanks
Did you have any luck with this?