Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-12-17, 23:28

Default Different MMN

Mary Ann Hart married Edward Carter at Marston Trussell, Northants on 27th November 1849; her father's name was given as William. This is the Hart family in Lubenham, Leicestershire in 1841 (mistranscribed as "Hurt" on Ancestry):

William Hart, 40
Mary Hart, 30
Mary Hart, 13
William Hart, 11
Eliza Hart, 9
Charles Hart, 8
Henry Hart, 7
George Hart, 4
Louisa Hart, 5
Philip Hart, 1

By 1851 Mary Ann was married, the rest of the family living in Marston Trussell:

William Hart, 48
Mary Hart, 46
Eliza Hart, 19
Charles Hart, 17
Louisa Hart, 15
George Hart, 13
Philip Hart, 10
Albert Hart, 8
Frederick Hart, 6
Thomas Hart, 4
Robert Hart, 2
Emily Hart, 2 months
Isaac Carter, 24 (visitor)

... although just to confuse matter there are some other Harts in All Saints, Leicester:

William Hart, 55
Mary Hart, 50
Frederick Hart, 27
Eliza Hart, 16
Sarah Ann Hart, 13
William Hart, 10

1861, still in Marston Trussell:

William Hart, 58
Mary Hart, 52
Frederick Hart, 16
Thomas Hart, 14
Robert Hart, 12
Priscilla Hart, 10

and the other William and Mary, with Eliza and William junior, were still in All Saints Leicester.

Mary Ann was born before the introduction of civil registration, but several of her siblings came after it, and the GRO gives the following, all in Market Harborough district:

George Hart, 1837 - MMN not given
Philip Hart, 1840 - MMN Oliver
Albert Hart, 1842 - MMN Oliver
Frederick Hart, 1844 - MMN Oliver
Thomas Hart, 1846 - MMN Oliver
Robert Hart, 1849 - MMN Oliver
Priscilla Hart, 1851 - MMN Oliver

There is a marriage of William Hart to Mary Oliver on 18th October 1826 at St Margaret's, Leicester, so I had assumed that all the Lubenham/Marston Trussell Harts were the children of that couple. I hadn't managed to find a baptism record for Mary Ann, until I came across this in the Non-Conformist register for Bond Street, Leicester:

"Mary Ann, daughter of William Hart & Mary his wife (daughter of Robert & Eleanor Flowers) of the Friars, Leicester, was born September 8th 1831 & baptised October 28th 1832, by Edw. Webb"

If Mary Ann was married in Marston Trussell in 1849, it seems certain that she was the daughter of the family who were living there in 1851 - MMN Oliver. The presence of the other William and Mary in Leicester would account for the Mary Ann on the baptism record having a different MMN, but it seems a bit of a coincidence that they just happened to call their daughter Mary Ann too; I haven't found the "other" Harts in 1841, to verify that there was a second Mary Ann. I would guess that it is just a coincidence, and that the Mary Ann who was baptised in Leicester is not the same one who married in Marston Trussell, but it's a bit confusing!
Old 14-12-17, 06:19
Administrator

I'm not quite sure if I'm following your post, but the younger 'other Harts in All Saints, Leicester', Sarah Ann (13) and William (10) (from your 1851 census transcript) have mmn Jordan. I was expecting them to be mmn Flowers.

Here they are in 1841 (no Mary Ann!)

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ff=8&ml_rpos=3

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-12-17, 06:39
Administrator

It seems likely that the non-conformist Mary Ann, bap 1832, died aged 3 in 1835. There is a non-con burial in the same database as her bap dated 4 Jun 1835, parents William and Mary.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-12-17, 06:54
Administrator

The Hart/Flowers couple also show a bap for a dau Elisa (sic):

Elisa Hart
Baptism
14 Aug 1836
Leicester, Leicestershire, England
William,
Mary (dau of Robert & Eleanor Flowers)

Which fits well for the Eliza with the Hart/Jordan couple on the 1841/51 census. Perhaps that William remarried around 1836/7? Or perhaps it's just a big co-incidence!!

Don't have any more time now.

Old 14-12-17, 07:53

Have you looked up the births on the GRO index to see who the mother's maiden name was for all the children born after 1837 in the census's.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...es/default.asp
Old 14-12-17, 15:08
Administrator

This parents here (1851):

William Hart, 55
Mary Hart, 50
Frederick Hart, 27
Eliza Hart, 16
Sarah Ann Hart, 13 (mmn Jordan)
William Hart, 10 (mmn Jordan)

would appear to be this couple:

William Hart and Mary Jordan m at Wigston Magna Leicestershire 05 Apr 1820, banns, everyone signed, witnesses John Phipps, Ann Harrison and Thomas Ward.

So this William Hart isn't the man whose wife was the dau of Robert and Eleanor Flowers as he was married before that William had children with Mary nee Flowers. (unless of course, Robert Flowers was actually a step-father, and she had been born as Mary Jordan!)

Old 14-12-17, 23:43

Thanks Merry. So there may have been three couples named William and Mary Hart in Leicestershire at around the same time... no wonder I was getting confused! Anyway, the burial is fairly conclusive evidence that the Mary Ann who was the daughter of Mary nee Flowers isn't the same Mary Ann who married Edward Carter.