Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-11-10, 16:16
Administrator

Quote:
he deserted my grandmother
Perhaps his upbringing made it difficult for him to form relationships? I wonder if he gets a mention in Susan's will?

Susan's brother, William Gilchrist Wilson, was "of King William College, Isle of Man" when he died in 1930 (probate record) so I guess that's why your grandfather was educated there.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 29-11-10, 16:50

Smile

Thanks for all your help, folks
Sharing it makes it so much easier
Old 29-11-10, 16:58
Administrator

Don't forget to tell us when you get the birth cert! I REALLY want to know where he came from.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-12-10, 22:41

Smile Gilchrist Wilson

Hi Alison

I have just Googled my family and your posts came up! We are distantly related and if you contact me offline I can help you with your search.

Genesearcher
Old 15-12-10, 12:41

Default Gilchrist Wilson

Alison,

Unfortunately I think you might have the wrong family here. I have had time to look at the information on this post and there are several discrepancies:

One of the posts states that Susan Alice Charlotte Wilson died in 1925 in York, aged 63. That puts her year of birth as 1861/62. When you wrote 1816 did you mean 1816 or 1861?
If 1816 is the right date for your Alice then the dates are way out.

Also, if she was your ggg Grandmother, she was likely to have been married so wouldn't have her death registered as Wilson, her maiden name. It was unlikely that she would have reverted to her maiden name.

My relative, Susan Alice Charlotte Wilson was born in 1861 in London as was her sister, Annie Harrington Gilchrist Wilson. There was another child born in London then 2 born in York. Their father was the Rev. James Gilchrist Wilson, born Edinburgh.

I hadn't researched whether Susan Alice Charlotte Wilson married, but as I have now found the death above, it's unlikely there were 2 people of the same name born around the same time, so it looks like she didn't marry.

If your Alice was married in 1835 in Settrington, then she is definitely not from the above family.

If you need any more information, please contact me by pm
Old 15-12-10, 13:03

Default Gilchrist Wilson

Alison

There is a link after all!

1911 Census - Susan Wilson, single, aged 50, born City of London,
Robert Fisher aged 5, born York, adopted child.

Living at 30 Frontgate (that's what it looks like), York.

That ties in with Susan Alice Charlotte Wilson being born in 1861, being single and the family living in London then moving to York!

Birth - Robert William H Fisher, Sept Quarter 1905, York.
Reference - 9d5.

If you send for his birth certificate, this will give you his parents' names.
Old 15-12-10, 14:31
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Genesearcher. Alison has the birth cert for Robert Fisher already (there is another thread I'll post the link in a minute)

Don't suppose you have any idea why Susan would have adopted Robert do you?

Old 15-12-10, 14:32
Administrator

Here's the followup thread:

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum...ead.php?t=7378

Apologies if it was me who reversed the figures in that date.

EDIT: I've just realised what you meant about 1816. That's the birth date of a person Alison (incorrectly) thought was a biological ancestor of Robert Fisher and has nothing to do with Susan Wilson (1861) at all! It's just a fluke it's a figure reversal.

Old 16-12-10, 18:26

Default Gilchrist Wilson

Hi Merry

Thanks for the welcome.

I don't know why Susan adopted a child. As it said in a previous post, it looked as if in 1901 she was running a home for unmarried mothers. Her family was very wealthy. She had brothers and sisters, only one of whom was married and I don't know whether he had any children, so perhaps she just wanted a child.

On a different note, Spink could be German. I do know that our family had a strong German connection through trade. We had a couple of Adolphs in the family!! Maybe the families knew each other.
Old 08-01-11, 17:50

Hello all

Sorry I haven't been around for a while- seems it's all been happening in my absence
Robert WH Fisher's father was Robert Spink Fisher and his Mum Jane Ann Simpson (probably not married and I have no leads for her at all at the mo as Simpson is a common name) Robert S Fisher's parents were James Fisher and Sara Ann Spink, which is where the Spink comes from, I guess

However, I'm really interested in the 'Gilchrist Wilson' side as we know nothing about Robert WH Fisher's adoptive family past Susan's paternal grandparents. William Gilchrist Wilson(one of Susan's brother's) was a housemaster at King William College on the Isle of Man where Robert WH was educated in his late teens