Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 26-07-10, 09:46

thanks all, i guess i will try to get the birth cerificate of Tom Bell, then take it from there.
x
Old 26-07-10, 10:58

1901 census 1911 census...does it by any chance say
Hannah L Bell ?..........allan
Old 29-07-10, 20:10

Hi Allan,
Yeah i know that Bell is a very popular name in Liverpool, both my family and my husbands family are all scousers!

Unfortunatly, Hannahs name on both the 1901 & 1911 Census is just listed as Hannah Bell, her children on the 1911 census are:
John Bell - 17 - cart lad
Richard Bell - 16 - aprrentice book binder
Mary Bell - 13 - school
Alice Bell - 7 - school
Tom Bell - 4

on this census it says that Hannah had been married 19 years,
7 children born,
5 living
2 died,
i can see on the 1901 Census there is a daughter Margaret who must have died between 1901 and 1911.

i know from my grandfather in law (who was Thomas Son) Toms wife was called Ann Dollman, and their marrage according to the BMD was some time between January and March 1928.

How do i go about getting a birth Certificate for Thomas Bell, what information do i need to have before i send off for it?

thanks
Old 30-07-10, 11:24
Administrator

You should order his marriage certificate first to get his father's name.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-07-10, 17:33

Hi
As a complete novice to this how do i go about getting such certificates birth, marrage, death etc....
I am at the stage with several of my family members both on my family and my husbands that i need to get such certificates and have absolutly no idea how to do this.

what information do i need to have?
where do i apply or send off for it?
does this have to be done in person/online or by post?
How will know if i have recived the correct certificate?
Old 30-07-10, 19:45
Administrator

You can order a cert from the GRO (nowadays called the Identity and Passport Service):

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The site has all the info about how to order online, but as far as I know you can also order by post or phone so shout if you want to know about that and I'll have a look for the info!

The easiest way to order from the GRO is if you have found the references on their BMD indexes, as for instance you say you found Thomas Bell and Annie Dolman's marriage Jan-Mar 1928. You go on the GRO website and fill in all the information on the online form, though in the case of a marriage you only need to put the name of one person, either the bride or the groom, you don't have to put both. So you would order a marriage certificate for 1928, tick "yes" for "Is the GRO reference known"? and enter the name Thomas Bell, quarter Mar 1928, district W Derby, volume 8b, page 373, all taken from the GRO index, enter your payment details etc and then you will get an estimated despatch date (when it will be sent to you).

You can also order from the local register office, and in this particular case it will be just as easy as ordering from the GRO because Lancashire have their own ordering system accessed via their website:
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

If you search for the marriage on there then when you have found it, it shows a reference number next to it - not the same as the GRO reference numbers - and some areas will allow you to order online, but for the Liverpool area you have to print off an application form and post it in. To get the printable form, just click on the reference number again and it will come up, mostly filled in for you.

Incidentally, Lancashire BMD shows the groom's name as Thomas J Bell and says they were married at Christ Church, Everton. The other way you could get to look at their marriage certificate would be, if you can easily get to the Liverpool Record Office and see if they hold the Christ Church, Everton marriages for 1928; if so then you could look through to find the marriage certificate and view it there and get a copy. Record offices charge different prices from each other for copies so I don't know if it would be cheaper than from the register office.

If I were you I would leave his birth certificate until you have his marriage certificate with father's name and occupation, then when you have that info, post it on here and we will help you find the correct references for his birth certificate, as it could be very tricky to order a birth certificate for someone with a name like Thomas Bell without the full references.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update