Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 24-07-10, 21:10

Default Family Bell, Livepool

Hi All i am sitting here with my grandfather in law,
we are trying to find his parents and grandparents, etc.....

I have searched on the 1911 census and found his dad Tom Bell, living with his mother Hannah Bell in Robsats Street Liverpool on this census he is 4 years old.

i then searched the 1901 census and found Hannah Bell living in Lancaster street Kirkdale,

however her husband doens't appear anywhere on either census and i am wondering how best to find him? i know that i should look for a birth Cert for Tom as this would give me his parents names however i wondered if anyone would be able to find him without this information.....

Thanks
Alison x
Old 24-07-10, 21:21
Administrator

Did Hannah say how long she had been married in 1911?

Do you know of any more children born after the 1911 census? If Hannah had more and they could be positively identified in the birth indexes, they would have the mother's maiden name indexed also.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-07-10, 21:35
Administrator

How sure are you that you are looking at the right Tom Bell? As you don't know his father's name, are you sure of his mother's name and his date/place of birth? I see his birth was most likely registered as Thomas and there are an awful lot of Thomas Bells!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-07-10, 21:35
Administrator

I presume you don't have a copy of his marriage cert?

Old 24-07-10, 21:48

Hi Merry,
my grandfather in law knew all his dads brothers and sisters and the names and ages all match what he remembers,
so i am 99.9% sure we have the right family....
in 1911, Hannah had been married for 19 years......

no as yet i have no certs will look for them aswell

do you think its possible to find anything more from what i have told you about the name of Toms father?
Old 24-07-10, 21:51
Administrator

Not if you are thinking of taking the tree back further!! It's too risky - you don't want to put time and money into the wrong tree! lol

No younger children then?

Do you know when/where Tom/Thomas died?

Old 24-07-10, 21:55
Administrator

There are 43 male Bells potentially marrying women called Hannah between 1891-1893, never mind the ones who are indexed incorrectly, and there's always the possibility the bride went as Ann or some other derivative of Hannah when she married, so there are endless possibilities!

Old 24-07-10, 22:30
Administrator

Sorry if this has already been answered, but did Tom marry? If he did then get a copy of his marriage certificate and that should tell you his father's name.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-07-10, 06:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
How sure are you that you are looking at the right Tom Bell? As you don't know his father's name, are you sure of his mother's name and his date/place of birth? I see his birth was most likely registered as Thomas and there are an awful lot of Thomas Bells!
Tommy Bell in Liverpool ??...there`s 5 in Garston and 5 in Speke and 5 in Toxteth and probably 100 in Liverpool at least....it`s a VERY popular name here in the pool...be careful with your research...and I presume it won`t be easy.....
on the census is it just HANNAH or is there an initial for a middle name ?
.allan

Last edited by garstonite; 25-07-10 at 06:39.
Old 25-07-10, 07:15
Administrator

I just spent an age finding Lancaster St in a 1900 street directory, only to find number 47 had someone else listed as the householder (couldn't read the fuzzy image but it was something like John Gr??n, a smith.)

Erm, what was

Quote:
Robsats
From playing with the 1911 index, I see this should say Robsart! Can't find that on any directory though, but I think that's because there's no directory for the right time frame on the Historic Directories site.