Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 17-05-10, 15:17
Administrator

My grandmother knocked off four years from her age when she was 25 and maintained this new age (on passports etc too) until she was 76 at which point she became 80, without anyone daring to say a word!

Do you know when Isabella died?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-05-10, 15:24
Administrator

There's an Isabella Sheppard (that spelling) aged 22 in Prestatyn in 1901 - she is a servant. Says she is b in Scotland, which she may well be of course, but it was the Prestatyn connection that made me look!

Oh, Benjamin is four pages away - district 8 page 13 and Isabella district 8 page 9!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-05-10, 20:56

HI,
I will get the wedding cert, stupid question but how do i do that?
I also noticed the detail about the 3 surving children yet only 2 where living with her at the time and thought it was strange... she did go on to have more children as you can see below talking to my dad about this and he gave me details of a family grave in Allerton Cemetary.

9/3/1918, Edna Margaret Davies, age 15months

6/4/1923 Benjamin Davies, age 47

20/01/1928 Edward Gillbank Davies, age 18

01/10/1957 Isabella Davies, aged 82

But My granddad and Edna where born after 1911 census so she couldn't have been refering to either of them. so i now am intreiged to find out who and where this 3rd surviving child is there any way i can do this that you know of?

My dad remembers something about Scotland and we wonder if this could have been a smoke screen of some sort,
what details does the marrage certificate have on it?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Last edited by alisondaviesbell; 17-05-10 at 21:01.
Old 17-05-10, 21:43
Administrator

Quote:
01/10/1957 Isabella Davies, aged 82
That's closer to the birth reg than her age in 1911!

You can get the marriage cert by filling in this form:

http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/...abella&area=LL

Old 17-05-10, 21:50
Administrator

If their name was something rarer than Davies or if the children had been born somewhere where the local reg office has indexed the mother's maiden name before 1912, then you might be able to get a name for the missing child and then look for them on the 1911 census. However that isn't going to be so easy unless they turn out to be with another family member who you can identify.

Old 17-05-10, 23:09
Administrator

Hmmmm.... Edward's baptism is on the FamilySearch Record Search pilot site:
Edward Gillbanks Davies born 24 March 1909, christened 2 May 1909 St Mary's, Wavertree, Liverpool, parents Benjamin Davies and Isabella.

I can't see Mary's baptism on there, but there are these two, though the church isn't named:

David John Davies christened 1 Sep 1903 Lancashire, parents Benjamin Davies and Isabella
William Benjamin Davies christened 3 Aug 1905 Lancashire, parents Benjamin Davies and Isabella.

There are too many David John Davies births to know which is the right one, but not so many William Benjamins - the only one whose birth was registered in Lancashire around that time is in West Derby district, Apr - Jun 1905. (Although of course we don't know for sure that the christening is of a baby born in Lancashire.)

There is a David John Davies death in West Derby Jul-Sep 1905 age 2. Can't see a death for William Benjamin Davies between 1905 and 1911. I can't see William Benjamin Davies on the 1911 census but if he is just listed as William Davies there are too many to choose from.

Does it say on the 1911 census 3 children, 3 living, or does it say 4 children, 3 living and 1 dead? I'm not sure whether David and William are red herrings or not!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-05-10, 07:13
Administrator

Nothing's ever straightforward, is it? lol I had no idea there would be such late baptisms available.

In 1911 there's a child trancribed as WILLIAM BENJAMIS DAVIES (that spelling!) born in Lancashire and living/staying in St Asaph reg district in Denbighshire, which covers Prestatyn in Flintshire as well and I've checked and they are living in Prestatyn. He is in a household with people called Ellis (William 66, Ann 69 and William 25). The bad news is that he is listed as grandson, so if he is the right person, then possibly Mrs Ellis was previously Mrs Davies or Mrs Shepherd. Or maybe I have found the child fron the baptism Kate found, but that Benjamin and Isabella are not yours!!

Alison, what did you think of the possible 1901 census entry for Isabella?

Old 18-05-10, 07:28
Administrator

This 1891 page:

RG12; Piece: 4626; Folio 74; Page 10

has William Ellis single and same page, further down, Mrs Ann Davies, widow wih her son Benjamin. In 1901 we have Mr and Mrs William Ellis and son, William Ellis aged 15, who may have been William Davies aged 5 on the previous census. The trouble is, I can't see a marriage between Ann Davies and William Ellis as yet!

Old 18-05-10, 07:34
Administrator

Oh, here it is - the page number for William is transcribed incorrectly so I didn't get a match straight away!

Marriages Dec 1895
Ellis William St. Asaph 11b 60[60]

Marriages Dec 1895
Davies Ann St. Asaph 11b 606

I have checked William's page number and it is 606.

So, rather amazingly we seem to have found Benjamin and Isabella's missing child! I wouldn't have placed a bet on that! lol

Old 18-05-10, 08:40
Administrator

This looks like the Ellises in 1901:

Castle View Heights, Prestatyn:
William Ellis Head M 56 Labourer (General) Flintshire Prestatyn
Ann Ellis Wife M 58 do do
William Ellis Son S 15 Grocer's Assistant Do Do

Then going back to 1891 (excuse spellings of place names!):
Liverpool Cottage, Meliden, Prestatyn
William Brookes Head M 49 Farmer Flint Dyserth
Elizabeth Do Wife M 40 Do Gwsemygor
Edward Ellis Father Widr 81 Ex-farmer Do Llanara
William L Brookes Son 6 Scholar Do Prestatyn
Thomas Do Son 5 Do Do
William Ellis Brother S 47 Carter Do Gwsenysyn

And on the same page, Rose Cottage
Ann Davies Head Wid 47 Flint Prestatyn
Thomas Do Son S 20 Farm labourer Do Do
Benjamin Do Son S 16 Do Do Do Do
John Davies Son 11 Scholar Do Do
William Do Son 5 Do Do Do

(Snap, Merry! That took me ages to type!)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update