Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 15-03-17, 15:15
Banned

I think the woman had been ill-advised before filing her case with the Court.
Old 15-03-17, 16:28
Banned

Whoops! The appeal against an earlier ruling had been filed by the powerful charity involved.
Old 15-03-17, 18:17
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
....and today the Supreme Court has confirmed that anyone may leave anything to anyone in their will, nor do they have to justify that action.

OC
Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
I think that's good. You should be able to bequeath your wealth and property to whomever you like, so long as it's not under duress or the result of fraudulent activity.
Quote:
James

Yes indeed, otherwise what is the point of writing a will.

OC

Completely agree, no one is entitled to anything unless someone wants them to have it, it is a bequeath, not blood nor marriage should entitle anyone in my opinion which is why one should make a will.

Of course as James said unless it is fraudulent or suspicious which is another thing entirely.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 15-03-17 at 18:35.
Old 16-03-17, 18:07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Completely agree, no one is entitled to anything unless someone wants them to have it, it is a bequeath, not blood nor marriage should entitle anyone in my opinion which is why one should make a will.

Of course as James said unless it is fraudulent or suspicious which is another thing entirely.
If everybody were to make a Will then the British Treasury would suffer great losses would they not?
Old 16-03-17, 18:45
Administrator

I don't understand why this was being reported on the news as confirming that people can leave what they like to whoever they like, since what actually happened was that the mother left her adult daughter nothing at all, the daughter contested the will and was awarded £50,000 on the grounds that it was unfair for her mother to leave her nothing, she appealed that asking for more and was awarded more, and the supreme court only overturned the outcome of that appeal, but she still gets the £50,000 which her mother didn't leave her in the will. So, surely, it actually shows that you do have to leave money to your children, even if they are adults?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-03-17, 18:57
Administrator

I hadn't realised, until I read about this case, that people could be classed as dependents when over 18 (Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975)

Personally, I don't think the daughter should have been given anything if that was the wish of her mother (but clearly that act says otherwise). The only way round it would seem to be to give your money away to whoever you want before you die, or spend it. Obviously that isn't always practical though.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-03-17, 19:03
Banned

The final ruling is the latest. All Court Rulings are called Held.. The latest ruling holds that the mother had not been obliged and/or had no duty to leave her daughter anything if that had been her last wish as published in her last Will.
I feel sure that Wills have been contested many times and that the contestants had sometimes won their cases. However, I am not sure at all that the Judges involved with the latest Ruling had taken previous Rulings into account as they must do by Law.

Last edited by albert73; 16-03-17 at 19:15.
Old 16-03-17, 19:45

I had not realised that she was still entitled to the original 50k!

I think this is a very odd ruling then. I know of at least two people who are not leaving anything to one of their children because one is an alcoholic, the other a drug addict.

OC
Old 16-03-17, 19:50
Banned

Quote:
I had not realised that she was still entitled to the original 50k!

I think this is a very odd ruling then. I know of at least two people who are not leaving anything to one of their children because one is an alcoholic, the other a drug addict.

OC
I can say without fear of contradiction that if I had a million quid then I would leave nothing to a child of mine nor anybody else who is into drug addition or alcoholism.
Old 16-03-17, 20:25

But according to this ruling, that adult child could challenge the will! Especially as the drug addicted one has been endlessly bailed out of one sort of trouble or another.

OC