Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 30-03-17, 21:50
Administrator

That's interesting. Glad to know we can definitely rule John and Jane out now!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 30-03-17, 22:47
Administrator

I found Chapel Street, Devonport, on the 1841 census but it doesn't show house numbers and although there are some Dyers, there isn't an Ann, and no Caddys. Here is the link in case anyone wants to look through it, as I only searched rather than browsed:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...7_271_274-0593

Old 30-03-17, 22:48
Administrator

I was expecting William's father to be navy or something, not a labourer. Surely we should be able to find something on this family! Will have to look more tomorrow.

Old 31-03-17, 14:24
Administrator

There is an Ann Dyer death Jan-Mar 1859 Stoke Damerel district, age 85, and this could be her on the 1851 census:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return
15 Ker St, Devonport
Ann Dyer Head W 76 Nurse Pyworthy Devon.

And this could be her in 1841 but it doesn't really help:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return
Tamar Terrace, Stoke Damerel, Devonport
Mary Berryman 75 Ind N
Ann Dyer 65 FS Y.

Old 31-03-17, 23:17

Thank you, Kiterunner:

There is a record of a Thomas Caddy being baptised at Tiverton in 1803.
There are a few people named Ann Dyer and the one you picked is as likely as the others
A Johanna Jane Caddy died at Bideford in 1875.

Sadly, none of this helps locate Ellen Bentall, for better or worse, and the others are a distraction unless they provide a clue.

For me, not experienced in this stuff, the lack of any more information in the 1841 or 1851 census records is strange. I wonder if they all died in an epidemic, or emigrated. I have looked for information about both of those possibilities, but have not found anything useful.

Your comment about Thomas's occupation is worth a response. I am intrigued (?obsessed?) about the social aspects of this story. The marriage between Alfred Bentall and Elizabeth Ann Ackland was a real upstairs-downstairs liaison. Alfred's family were wealthy bankers and dominated local politics in Totnes. Her parents were servants in town and her sister Jane married a labourer, but probably took charge of Ellen after her sister's death.

I think about the linguistic issues. Alfred spoke 'King's English' at home, attended a naval college, and by the age of 23 was commanding a new state-of-the-art sailing brig on a voyage to the Philipines and back. Growing up in Totnes, he was probably fluent in the local Devonshire dialect, which was then even more unintelligible to non-locals than it was when I tried to understand it 40 years ago. She probably grew up with Devonshire as her first language, but understood and probably was able to speak 'proper', and may have been much better educated than the rest of her family, but how did they get together in London?.

Alfred's younger brother Francis was a successful solicitor and professional antiquarian (a proto-genealogist searching out the pedigrees of his illustrious 16th century ancestors). He was bigoted and snobbish and must have hated having to deal with the social embarrassments of Alfred's wife and children. So the admon he filed relating to Alfred's Will might be interesting. I plan to visit London in July and again in September, but have not had the experience of visiting the Kew archives, and am not sure if I will have time. (Are there researchers who would be happy to find that document for a modest fee?)
Tim
Old 01-04-17, 10:30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpb View Post
A Johanna Jane Caddy died at Bideford in 1875.
That was Johanna Lane Caddy.

Quote:
For me, not experienced in this stuff, the lack of any more information in the 1841 or 1851 census records is strange. I wonder if they all died in an epidemic, or emigrated. I have looked for information about both of those possibilities, but have not found anything useful.
If they died in an epidemic then we should be able to find their death registrations, but I've searched and searched and come up with nothing. The reason I was expecting William's father to be in the navy was because it would mean the family would be likely to have moved around a lot.

Quote:
(Are there researchers who would be happy to find that document for a modest fee?)
You could try someone from TNA's list?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/i...d=24&x=48&y=22