Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-03-17, 15:56
Administrator

I think it could be very useful to know who registered the deaths of Elizabeth Ann Bentall and her son, Alfred.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-17, 16:03
Administrator

There is a Jane Caddy buried at Exeter in 1836, age 48, who could be the Exeter / Brixham one (John Caddy was buried at Brixham in 1825 age 45.) And some of John and Jane's children are in Brixham on the 1841 census. So looking unlikely that she is the right Jane.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-03-17, 16:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I think it could be very useful to know who registered the deaths of Elizabeth Ann Bentall and her son, Alfred.
Good point.

Old 11-03-17, 20:13
Administrator

Quote:
Ellen Bentall was born on 20 June 1837 and baptized at St. George in the East, now in Whitechapel, on 22 October 1837.

A marriage record shows that Alfred and Elizabeth Ann were married in the same church in 1839.
I'm unsure as to whether these bits link together? "The same church"??

As far as I can see Alfred and Elizabeth Ann were married at St Botolph (without) Aldgate.

I have tried and tried to find the baptism for Ellen; there are a lot of entries at St George in the East for 22 Oct 1837, but I couldn't see hers. Once I realised the marriage wasn't in that church I looked for the bap at St Botolph Aldgate, but no success. Was the bap in the name Ackland?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-17, 21:18
Administrator

This is it, Merry (transcribed as Beatall on ancestry):
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/15...cklabel=Return
St John of Wapping.

Old 11-03-17, 21:28
Administrator

Thanks Kate!

St John of Wapping??!! lol

Old 11-03-17, 21:35
Administrator

That seems to be its official name.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...d-b44dccc05778

Old 11-03-17, 21:39

Apologies, I got the church wrong for Alfred and Elizabeth Ann's marriage - I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

This is Ellen Bentall's baptism transcription that I relied on, but findmypast did not give the actual image.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...f902201072%2f1

And here is Alfred's in 1840

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...f902201361%2f1

Elizabeth Ann's Will made on June 1, 1840 provides a bequest for Jane Caddy, so the one of interest must have been alive on that date.

I was not aware of this GRO service. Although this is a rather expensive and slow delivery service, I have ordered a copy of William Dyer Caddy's birth certificate, since I am impressed by the thread of connections that says his mother's maiden name was Ackland, that Elizabeth Ann had a sister at Stoke Damerel named Jane Caddy, and that the only Elizabeth Ann Ackland with a plausible baptism record may have had a mother whose maiden name was Dyer.

I am not too concerned about the 'carpenter' reference. If he died when she was 5 years old, she might easily have claimed a more dignified occupation for him than just 'servant'.

I checked the GRO for a death certificate for Elizabeth Ann Bentall at Stoke Damerel and found the record. Her age is given as 22, which ties in with a baptism in 1818.

There is also a death certificate for Alfred Bentall at Plymouth in 1840 which appears to state his age as 2 years, but one of the two findmypast transcripts gives it as '2 months' which .
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...f518014316%2f1.

I am not sure of the protocols for death certificates in those days. Would you expect to see the names of other family members? I am inclined to wait and find out the names of William Caddy's parents before trying to get those death certificates.

The other potential source of information is the Interlocutory Decree and Admon granted May 1842. First I would like to find out what exactly is meant by that terminology.

Tim
Old 11-03-17, 21:50
Administrator

The new GRO online birth index will just say 2 for 2 years, 2 months, or maybe even 2 weeks; it's up to us to guess what they mean!

Alfred jr's death cert could well say "son of Alfred Bentall". Elizabeth's might say "widow of Alfred Bentall" or just "widow". But what Merry was talking about was that the "Informant" column will give the name of the person who actually registered the death, who may or may not be a relative, but very often was.

Interlocutory Decree seems to mean a temporary ruling while waiting for the final one. Admon is short for Administration and it means that permission was granted to administer the estate. You usually get Admon when there is no will, but also when there is a will but it is invalid.

Old 30-03-17, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpb View Post
I have ordered a copy of William Dyer Caddy's birth certificate,
The certificate arrived. William Dyer Caddy was born on 21 July 1839. His father was Thomas Caddy, occupation labourer. His mother was Jane Caddy, formerly Ackland. The 'signature, description and residence of informant' was 'Ann Dyer, female present at the birth 67 Chapel Street, Davenport' - although the street number is indistinct.

I think this Jane must be Elizabeth Ann's sister, and the witness, Ann Dyer, and at least partially corroborates connection to the Joseph Ackland who married Martha Dyer. Ann was probably either an aunt or a cousin. But the father was Thomas, not John, so this seems to rule out the Exeter family.

Tim