Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 11-03-17, 06:52
Administrator

Quote:
After Merry's post, I found William Dyer Caddy, but the 'findmypast' transcription did not include mother's maiden name 'Ackland'.
You would need to look here to find mmn pre 1911:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/#0

(click on 'Order Certificates Online' to begin)

It might help to get that birth cert as, firstly, it would confirm the mother's first name and secondly, knowing who her husband was (probably Richard, from Kate's earlier post) and his occupation might be a lead to discovering where they vanished to!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-17, 07:16
Administrator

You didn't mention Elizabeth Ann's mother's name, but I see it was Martha (from EAA's baptism), so this looks like her parents marriage:

Name: Joseph Ackland
Marriage Date: 22 Jan 1803
Marriage Place: Saint George,East Stonehouse,Devon,England
Spouse: Martha Dyer

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-03-17, 07:38
Administrator

There's a Joseph Ackland buried at Totnes 17 Sep 1823 aged 44

There's a marriage between Martha Ackland widow and John Salter widower at Totnes 24 Sep 1826. She signed, he made his mark, witnesses Robert Hooper and George Philp both signed.

There's a burial for Martha Salter at Totnes 9 April 1828 aged 47.

Old 11-03-17, 14:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpb View Post
There was a Jane Caddy who died around Dec. 30, 1878, at Penzance, who could possibly have been connected. http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/v...18790520%2f010
That Jane Caddy was age 72, according to the GRO death index, and the newspaper notice says she was a spinster, so I don't think she is Elizabeth's sister.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-03-17, 15:03
Administrator

The free search on BMD Registers website comes up with the baptism of a Mary Ann Caddy in 1817, TNA ref RG4/528 which it says is Register of Baptisms at the Cullompton Methodist Circuit in Devon from 1798 to 1819. Parents John and Jane.

I don't know why I didn't find it on ancestry or anywhere before (edit - I probably did and ignored it), but here is the image on ancestry, which says it is Exeter, Mint (Wesleyan):
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/29...cklabel=Return

I don't think she is a Mary Ann - this is my transcription.

Mary Duer Daughter of John and Jane Caddy was Born October the 31st in the Parish of St Sidwell Exeter and Baptised November the 23 1817.

Duer seems close to Dyer. Or am I misreading it?

Old 11-03-17, 15:12
Administrator

Oh, there is a John Caddy / Jane Duer marriage 9 Feb 1810 at Stoke Damerel, image on FMP:
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...hlights=%22%22
John is a Private in the East Devon Militia and Jane is a spinster. Witnesses Ann Haill(?) and Wm Roberts (serial witness).

But if Martha's age at death is correct (post #13) Jane would be too old to be Martha's daughter, so this could be a red herring. I can't find an image of Joseph and Martha's marriage to see if it says whether Martha was a spinster or a widow.

Old 11-03-17, 15:29
Administrator

These are other children of John and Jane, though I'm not certain they all belong to the same couple given the short gap between the two baptisms in 1820, but with Cross being used as a middle name at both Exeter and Brixham, I think they are all the same family and Jane Cross Caddy (the first one baptised in 1820) was maybe born in 1818 or 1819?

25 Nov 1810 St Andrew, Plymouth - Mary, daughter of John and Jane Caddy
27 Mar 1814 St Andrew, Plymouth - Ann Haill, da of John and Jane Caddy, Plymo Dock, Private East Devon Militia
8 Oct 1815 St Sidwell, Exeter - John Evans Caddy, parents John and Jane, residence St Sidwell, labourer (from transcription on FMP)
28 May 1820 St Sidwell, Exeter - Jane Cross Caddy, parents John and Jane, residence Factory Paris Street, day labourer (from transcription on FMP)
20 Aug 1820 Brixham - Mary Duer, daughter of John and Jane Caddy, Brixham, labourer
6 Oct 1822 Brixham - John Evans, son of John and Jane Caddy, Brixham, pauper
20 Aug 1826 Brixham - Maria Cross, daughter of John and Jane Caddy, Brixham, labourer

Still thinking they could be a red herring, but I thought it would be best to post them up so we can see whether we can definitely eliminate this Jane!

Old 11-03-17, 15:39
Administrator

I'm confused Are you saying John Duer Caddy and Jane Duer could be the parents of the child born in 1839?

If Jane was the dau of Martha (if the age at death is wrong or I found the wrong Martha) then the next problem would be that Martha had children up to 1822.

I'm more bothered about Joseph being a servant rather than a carpenter on the baps of their three children
Joseph Phillip 25 Jul 1817

Elizabeth Ann 14 Aug 1818

William Henry 11 Aug 1822

- is this even the right Elizabeth Ann?

Old 11-03-17, 15:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
FamilySearch lists the baptism of an Elizabeth Jane Cady 4 Feb 1828 at Morrice Street Wesleyan, Devonport, Devon, dob 31 Dec 1827, parents Richard Cady and Jane. I haven't found their marriage yet to see whether this Jane was an Ackland.
Here is the image on ancestry, where the surname is transcribed as Eady:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/29...cklabel=Return
It does look more like Eady to me.

Old 11-03-17, 15:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I'm confused Are you saying John Duer Caddy and Jane Duer could be the parents of the child born in 1839?
Probably not, but we don't know for sure yet that William's mother was called Jane, do we? By the way, his name is just John Caddy, not John Duer Caddy. Also, MMN shouldn't be down as Ackland if they were, but it's possible if Joseph was Jane's stepfather I suppose.

Quote:
If Jane was the dau of Martha (if the age at death is wrong or I found the wrong Martha) then the next problem would be that Martha had children up to 1822.
Yes, I said the Jane who I found was probably too old but it's just that Duer / Dyer similarity that makes me wonder.

Quote:
I'm more bothered about Joseph being a servant rather than a carpenter on the baps of their three children
Joseph Phillip 25 Jul 1817

Elizabeth Ann 14 Aug 1818

William Henry 11 Aug 1822

- is this even the right Elizabeth Ann?
Oh, I hadn't noticed he was supposed to be a carpenter. Hmm.