Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 27-04-20, 08:45

hi ,There are a various burials of ann in Wigan from 1848 to 1865 . as there isn't any ages at death on family search .
Old 27-04-20, 08:54
Administrator

You could pick up the age at death for those registrations from the GRO site.

I hadn't realised she had lived long enough to be on a census. Can you tell me anything about her census entries?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-04-20, 09:01

Hi. I'm sorry I haven't done that i've only using family search at present and am experiencing a lot of problems with loading pages . She could have died earlier , but those I have mentioned only come up . I'll try and check again . I usually access ancestry at my local library and obviously can't do that at present as it's much better . it has lots more info
Old 27-04-20, 09:16
Administrator

Why don't you use Lancs OPC? Family search is very poor for burial records. You are just accessing post 1837 death registrations.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 27-04-20, 09:32
Administrator

There's this one which is a fairly good fit, given the person giving the info may not have known her exact age (Lancs OPC):

Burial: 28 Nov 1848 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
Ann Calland -
Abode: Aspull
Cause of Death: Decay
Buried by: Howard St. George Offg. Minr. Curate of Haigh
Register: Burials 1848 - 1853, Page 37, Entry 294
Source: LDS Film 1885702

Unfortunately I can't find her on the 1841 census to see if who she is living with (if anyone) throws up any clues.

Her death cert may well give the name of her husband (regardless of whether he was still alive or not) if she was a married woman.

CALLAND, ANN 77
GRO Reference: 1848 D Quarter in WIGAN UNION Volume 21 Page 482

Old 27-04-20, 09:36
Administrator

There's also this possibe one for her husband (Lancs OPC):

Burial: 17 Aug 1825 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
William Callen -
Abode: Scholes
Cause of Death: Sudden
Buried by: G. Goodwill
Register: Burials 1824 - 1830, Page 51, Entry 405
Source: LDS Film 1885701

Again, perhaps very slightly too young, but we don't know the accuracy of the record.

Old 27-04-20, 10:07

hi ,yes they look good possibilities. what could i do to establish that it's her ? could i order the death certificate,and if so would it show anything else to help ? thanks
Old 27-04-20, 10:14
Administrator

Quote:
could i order the death certificate,and if so would it show anything else to help ? thanks
As I said in post #45:

Her death cert may well give the name of her husband (regardless of whether he was still alive or not) if she was a married woman.

So, if the death cert says widow of William then it still could be her, but if it says wife/widow of someone else then it's not her. Same if it says she is a spinster. The person who registered the death could be a clue, esp if it's a married daughter. Unfortunately early death registrations usually don't have details of the relationship of the informant.

I'm not sure you should be attempting to order certs at the moment though. Have a look and see what Lancs BMD say on their website. The GRO have asked people to delay making orders until a later date wherever possible.

Old 27-04-20, 10:14

will check the b.m.d s lancashire
Old 25-02-21, 17:42

hi merry , hope you are keeping well and in good spirits . One of my friends who has some connection to my tree to ann lea and william calland Post 25 . on one of their trees it shows the family of Thomas lea and betty lea . has most of the children born in Bolton East lothian . It shows ann lea born 19/sept /1762 . elizabeth lea 21 april /1765 east lothian , Mary Lea , 8/oct /1771 . and another ann born 1765 i think Wigan . it's strange as one of the girls seem to be born in wigan , and the others in east lothian , it looks like maybe one of the ann passed away . it's quite puzzling to me , i wonder if you have any ideas ? i have tried to find births on FMS but have not come up with anything concrete . thanks