Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-01-14, 22:14
Administrator

Shall I shift the Farr posts to a different thread?

The Bristol Mercury 15th July 1837:

July 10 at Thornbury, Mr Henry Farr to Margaret Anne, eldest daughter of the late Captain Shearman, 26th foot.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-01-14, 22:19

Yes, I think a different thread would simplify things.

I'd just found that Shearman marriage, but I didn't find a death for Margaret on FreeBMD. Well done for findng the newspaper death notice - I missed it entirely.
Old 13-01-14, 22:21
Administrator

It would seem Henry Farr had more than one child with Margaret Ann Shearman as:

The Bristol Mercury 13th June 1840

June 5, at Newport, aged 18 months, Margaret Elizabeth, eldest child of Mr Henry Farr, solicitor.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-01-14, 22:24
Administrator

Ah, the other child was Sarah Frances who is on the 1841 census and was registered the same Q Margaret Ann Farr died.

Old 13-01-14, 22:35

No wonder I missed Margaret Anne's death - I'd forgotten they were living in Wales.
Old 13-01-14, 22:40

There's an entry for Henry in the probate calendar in 1891. None of the executors' names ring any bells, but I suppose the will might be interesting.
Old 14-01-14, 06:37
Administrator

I doubt it's important, but I just skimmed through the eight pages that make up the will of Henry Farr's father, Thomas. I couldn't tell you who had what, but here are the names I collected!

Thomas Farr, probate 1830, silversmith of the City of Bristol

Children William, George, Henry, John, Robert, Elizabeth and Harriet

One of the executors was, "My good friend Thomas Clark of the City of Bristol, merchant"

and two of the witnesses were William Clarke solicitor, Bristol, Charles S Clarke his clerk.

I didn't know if any of these Clark(e)s were related to Agatha's future first husband or if they were just a coincidence?

Old 14-01-14, 06:59

Interestingly Thomas Clark was Edward and Lucretia's father. Not sure if it's the same Thomas though.
Old 14-01-14, 07:11
Administrator

Do you know when Edward and Lucretia's father died?

Old 14-01-14, 08:15
Administrator

Another bit of background.

Margaret Ann Shearman, Henry's first wife, was the dau of Francis Shearman who was one of two brothers in 26th foot, the other being Edward Shearman. Edward left £500 in trust to his niece Margaret Shearman, dau of brother Francis when he died in 1820. This legacy was part of the money to be raised by the sale of his army commission (rank major) for £2600. The rest went to two brothers (inc Francis) and two sisters. He seems to have died in Gibraltar. At the time of his death he was described as "a lieutenant colonel in the army and major in 26th foot" (I don't know why two ranks?)

Francis Shearman's will was proved in 1828. He was a Captain in 26th foot and seems to have died in Co Waterford. His surviving wife was another Margaret Ann and his children Margaret Ann, Edward, Hester and Frances.

Margaret Ann, widow of Francis seems to have gone on to marry Rev. William Jarman Cross (the dissenting minister of Thornbury Baptist church between 1832 and 1844). On October 1837 Margaret Ann Cross and her dau Margaret Ann Farr and also (I think) her son Edward Shearman were back in court regarding Francis Shearman's estate, but the clerk who added the info to the PCC will record did so in pretty tiny writing so I can't read all of it or all of the dates.

I wonder if Henry Farr and Margaret Ann Shearman were the first dissenters to marry at Thornbury Baptist church, given they married just a few days after such things became legal?