Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-03-12, 05:57
Administrator

Libby, I think Kate has 1901 already. Charlotte jr is at 72 Judd st as Charlotte Hopkins (post #1) and her mother, brother and sister and step-father are together, all as Hopkins. (I just remember Lucy has St Pancras for her place of birth, Fred and his mother had Clerkenwell and Thomas Hopkins had Camden.)

Somehow I don't really imagine none of these children were registered at birth, just that we are not recognising them. I'm sure there will be a way, just that I can't think how at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fred was born a bit later as he was younger in 1891 and 1901. I didn't realise you had his dob too, so that's worth another look at the birth regs

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-03-12, 06:08

Not sure if this helps - but my great grandmother was born in 1878 in Caledonia Street which runs between the bottom of York Way and the Cally and her birth was registered in Islington. Her birthplace usually appears as Islington on census but sometimes her and other relations born here and York Way appear as Kings Cross and Clerkenwell...

Last edited by Asa; 01-03-12 at 06:14.
Old 01-03-12, 06:24
Administrator

That's useful Ada (perhaps they knew each other!! lol). Pity Charlotte didn't put a number for York Road! York Way (as it is now) seems to be very long. I've not checked any old maps though.

A re-cap (to save me going back to page one over and over!)

Frederick 20 Nov 1878, Clerkenwell (ie Holborn District)
Charlotte 20 Apr 1882 York Road, King's Cross (ie Holborn or Islington Districts).
Lucy 11 Sep 1884 Clerkenwell or Pancras (ie Holborn or Pancras Districts).

Clerkenwell was part of Holborn District at the time these three were born.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-03-12, 07:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Could this be Thomas Hopkins and Charlotte's marriage:-
Thanks for that, Maggie, but there is a baptism for a child of Henry James Brocklehurst and Charlotte in 1892 so I think the Thomas Hopkins in that marriage married Louisa Matilda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
So Lucy started school as Lucy SEARLE? Would she have needed a BC?

I'm presuming so otherwise she would have started as Hopkins (from census) and nobody would have been any the wiser.

I've searched Ancestry, FreeBMD, FMP and GR (hoping for her on someone's tree)
There just doesn't seem to be anything.
Can't find probable births tying the three children together.
Checked marriages for any combination of Searle with Charlotte, Hopkins with Charlotte,
Willima, Thomas, NUFFINK!!!
Thanks for all your searching, Libby.

It turns out that White Lion Street School was the junior school, and I've now found that Lucy Searle started at Penton Grove Infants School 17 Feb 1890, address 14 Hermes St, mother Charlotte. So it could be that Charlotte wasn't with Thomas Hopkins at that date and once Lucy had started school with the surname Searle, she didn't want to change it?

I don't know whether they needed birth certificates to start school at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Fred was born a bit later as he was younger in 1891 and 1901. I didn't realise you had his dob too, so that's worth another look at the birth regs
I'm glad you said that! I'd found a possible school admission for him but wasn't sure about it because of the age discrepancy with the 1881 census.
Frederick Searle admitted to Winchester Street School, Islington, 2 Jul 1883, date of birth 20 Nov 1878, address 20 Collier St, father William, left 14 Sep 1883.

Now I've found a Frederick Serle admitted to that same school 24 Aug 1885, date of birth 2 Feb 1879, father William, address 64 York Road, previous school All Saints School, leaving date 23 Dec 1886.

Not sure whether this is the same Frederick with a different date of birth! I like the address though.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-03-12, 08:13
Administrator

Hmmm...not having luck with '64 York' in 1881

Old 01-03-12, 08:18
Administrator

This looks like Thomas Hopkins in 1871:
222 Caledonian St., Islington St Thomas
Thomas Hopkins Husband Mar 25 Pianoforte Maker Middx St Clements
Sarah Do Wife Mar 25 Do St Pancras

And this is the possible for Thomas in 1881:
5 Remington St., Finsbury
Thos Hopkins Head Mar 35 Covered string maker (Piano) Mdx Strand

And at the Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, 23-25 Queen Square, St George the Martyr, Finsbury:
Sarah Hopkins Patient Unm 33 Piano Forte Tuner's Wife Middlex Euston Rd
(the Unm is a ditto of the previous patient's entry)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-03-12, 08:18
Administrator

Do you think it's the York Road listed (at least in part) within St Mary's Islington?

Old 01-03-12, 08:20
Administrator

Oh, well done with Thomas. Poor Sarah.

Old 01-03-12, 08:31
Administrator

Both, I found the odd numbers for the 60s in York Road on FMP under St Luke's Holborn (don't know if it's the right York Road?!) As yet I can't find the even numbers and I have to go out now.

Old 01-03-12, 08:31

I checked for births of the children under Searle and Hopkins everywhere I could think of checking. I really think they must be registered under their mother's maiden name.

Also checked any combination of Hopkins and Charlotte for a marriage.

So either, they didn't marry or it's lost somewhere or just somewhere I don't know about.

Kite......sorry if I look back I'll lose this.....did the kids need a BC for school?