Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 24-05-20, 13:26

Default Valentine/Valendine

Hi

I have switched now to my Grandad's family whilst I wait for the various certificates from my Grandmum's side. I am getting a little frustrated though as there seem to be various spellings of Valantine (Valandine). Doesn't like it could be typos or incorrect digitising as it clearly states Valandine in the original document and also Valantine in other documents leading me to believe that once again there are mad coincidences that are leading me down the wrong path.

My granddad was Thomas Emrys Williams (1911 to 2008), his dad was Edmund Williams (1875 to 1944) and his mum was Harriet Jones (1885 to 1973). I am almost certain that this is correct. All born in Wrexham or Ruabon. GRO says my granddad's mum's maiden name was Jones. GRO also says that Edmund's mum's maiden name was Valantine. I therefore now know that Edmund's mum was Valantine and dad was Williams. This looks like a good match https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=8059 for 1901 which leads me to beleive that Edmund's mum was Margaret Valantine and dad was Edmund Williams. Then this search:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/?n...priority=welsh

Gives me Valantine, Valentine, Valendine and Vallandine. The Ralentive is a mistake as should be Valentine. This looks like a good match and mum could be Jane Davies, but I am now getting frustrated and confused as I am adding a load of Valentines to my tree but have a sneaky feeling that this is all wrong.

What else can I do whilst waiting for the certificates? I am going to order Edmund's and Harriet's MC which will hopefully confirm their dad's name and occupation. Not sure if it will also tell me mum's details?

Thanks
Nick
Old 24-05-20, 14:33
Administrator

Have you found Edmund and Harriet in 1911? (I'm assuming they were married by then)

If you have, then using the information there, you should be able to find them in 1939 to pick up their dates of birth. Harriet's dob should also match the date given when she passed away (as that happened after 1969).

The marriage cert won't tell you anything about the mothers, except that, they could be witnesses, plus if the marriage was close in date to the census then the addresses given by the bride and groom could be where their parents were living in 1901/11.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-05-20, 15:21
Administrator

If you are only "almost sure" about Thomas Emrys Williams's parents, then I would think you are best to get his birth certificate first so you can be 100% sure. It's so easy to go wrong with such common names. But of course then it's another certificate you have to wait for. Sorry! Oh, and also, you might need Thomas's marriage cert if you aren't sure his father was Edmund (just so you know the birth cert is the right one for your Thomas, if they do match.)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-05-20, 15:37
Administrator

Oh, I wasn't expecting to find them together in 1939. Harriet is recorded here as ten years older than you suggested!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...d014ad687aa2c5

That should be correct as the dob fits wth her death reg in the year you suggested:

Name: Harriet Williams
Death Age: 97
Birth Date: 8 Dec 1875
Registration Date: Jul 1973
[Aug 1973]
[Sep 1973]
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district: Wrexham
Inferred County: Denbighshire
Volume: 8a
Page: 1868

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-05-20, 16:15
Administrator

One of the other children on that 1901 census entry is Sarah J age 16, and there is a birth reg for Sarah Jane Williams in Jan-Mar 1885 with MMN Valentine, so that looks right. The variant spellings of the surname are not unusual for the "olden days". A lot of people were illiterate and wouldn't know how to write their name, and people weren't generally bothered about correct spellings of names in those days.

Old 24-05-20, 16:22
Administrator

Another certificate you will need is the marriage cert for Edmund Williams and Margaret Valandine, Apr-Jun 1869. Another one which doesn't come up in the parish registers on Findmypast, unfortunately.

Old 24-05-20, 17:43

Thank-you all. Been away from my laptop gardening, hence the late thank-you's.

I think then I need to order birth certs as well then.

Merry - I have changed her dob a few times, as sometimes I find 1875 and sometimes 1885. I had forgotten about that.
Kiterunner - the only thing I am 100% sure of is TE Williams' dad was Edmund Williams, and I got Harriet from searching.

Thanks again. At least the bc's dispatch pretty quickly.
Nick
Old 24-05-20, 17:54

Will it matter then if I try and order a marriage cert with the spelling Valandine? Rather than Valantine?

Thanks
Old 24-05-20, 18:41
Administrator

It is spelt Valandine on the GRO marriage index, Nick. Apr-Jun 1869, Wrexham, vol 11b, p 527.

Old 24-05-20, 19:04

okee dokee, thanks