Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-03-18, 07:26

Hi , was Leona guillon or guillot ? I have a copy of the marriage register ,and it shows her name as guillot. Which is right . I have found that the name Alcouffe is quite common in the aveyron dept of France . There are a few Alcouffes who left France for New York and settled in California . Jules Noele and Celestine . I am wondering if these persons were relatives of Francois . All I really know is that we believe he was born in Paris around the 188os to 1890s , I believe he had a sister with a name similar to Obertha or something like that . And was a stage star . Whether this is true or not it's interesting .
Old 07-03-18, 08:50
Administrator

In post #9 Shona said that "The marriage in Kampala on 8 March 1912 names Francois Marcellin's father as Francois Gerome Alcouffe, merchant." So you would need to trace Francois Gerome Alcouffe next.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 07-03-18, 14:02

I needn't point it out to any English speakers familiar with French, but for those who might never have heard G and J pronounced in French, the G sounds like our J and the J sounds like our G.

My point is simply that Gerome is probably meant to be the French name Jérome.

EDIT:
Well, I could be way off base here because I now see some genealogies online where the given name Gérome appears in families with the surname Alcouffe. Not at all sure anything matches up with the data we have though.

EDIT AGAIN:
Gérôme, actually. And still I find nothing useful. I cede the floor to someone with more chops than myself.

Janet (Niagara)

Last edited by Janet; 08-03-18 at 03:26.
Old 13-03-18, 03:55

Hi , Shona Is there any way of getting more info from the French archives regarding Francois marcell. I think that could be him either in stalag or orlag camp . There must be some French official records online . I have been researching the name Alcouffe and it' seems to be a popular name in Aveyron , but there is also a few in Paris. Where supposedly Francois was born . It does appear that a few alcouffes left for California . Jules Alcouffe It makes me wonder if these were either brothers or some relation. The problem being at present I can't either find gerome Alcouffe his father or Francois on the records I can see . . Is there any way of getting to see the records without visiting Paris I've been twice and wouldn't want to go back . Thanks qwackers