Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-11-14, 16:20

Thanks Shona. I have updated my records accordingly.

I am not sure if it was a typo but Mary McNeill & Thomas 2nd child was actually Mary and not Margaret.

I have marriages and children for all their children except Thomas.
Mary McGlary m John Dowds in 1875 they had 8 children as far as I can see. I have Mary up to the 1901 census. Mary also had an illigitimate son William Kerr McGlary and his paternity was set by court. Don't know what happened to him after though and the father wasn't recorded.
Margaret m Andrew Ray in 1874 they had 6 children. Margaret died in 1888 Andrew remarried in 1895 and died in 1935
Rebecca married a John Bett and had 4 children. Rebecca died in 1895. One of her daughters Robina Thompson Bett married a John Grieg and emigrated to Quebec in 1914.
Then there is your John of course.

Quite a tree this is becoming..but sad as well with so many children dying young and the woman in the family also dying in their prime. A sign of the times I imagine
Old 11-11-14, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

1907 Death of Duncan McFadyen
Father: Duncan McFadyen, ploughman (dec).

Are there three fathers - Mr McNeill, Mr Blue and Mr McFadyen? Or could it be Duncan Blue is actually Duncan McFadyen?

I can find Duncan McFadyen, ploughman, on the 1841 and 1851 census records - with his a 'wife' (no marriage record, though) and children. No sign of a Duncan Blue of the right age.

NOTE
1851 Census - Greenock
Alexander McNeill, head, 28, weaver, born Colonsay
Mary McNeill, wife, 30, born ??? Argyll
Rebecca McNeill, daughter, 7 months, born Greenock
Dugald Blue, visitor, 25, cooper, born Colonsay

Wondering whether Alexander is also one of Rebecca's children, given that his daughter is named Rebecca. Also what about Dugald Blue?
Hi again Shona

I wanted to comment on the above 2 points from your original message. I realise it was 2 years ago that you wrote it and you may well have the information you seek by now but I wanted to share what I have.

I would say that Rebecca Blue did have 3 separate relationships but we will never really know for sure.

What I can now confirm though is that Alexander McNeill that you mentioned above was the son of Rebecca Blue and Alexander McNeill.
This Alexander was married to Mary Black who was the sister of Ann McNeil's Husband Alexander Black.
Alexander was originally a Weaver and then about 1857 became a police officer.
The remarkable thing is was illiterate using his mark on some registrations eventually being able to write/sign his name.
Anyway Alexander married Mary Black on 21 Dec 1847 in Greenock.
They had the following issue:
-Mary 1848 - Bef 1851 bap Greenock 23 Dec 1848
-Rebecca McNeill was born about 1850 in Greenock, there is no baptism record. She married James Seath on the 30 Dec 1870. Rebecca Seath is a witness to the marriage of Duncan McFadyen and Margaret McLelland (as above) and also on another marriage but I can't remember off hand who! Rebecca appears to have emigrated to her daughter Janet Seath who married Hugh Adams. They first went to Pensylvania and then to Waterloo in Canada. It is unclear where Rebecca died. Rebecca & James had 7 children.
-John McNeill was born about Nov 1852 and died of whooping cough at 8 Cathcart Street, Greenock on 10 Apr 1855.
- Mary McNeill (2) was born on 12 Feb 1855 but died at 25 Regent Street 1859 aged 4
-Alexander Black McNeil was born 3 Nov 1857 at 43 Cathcart Street, Greenock. He married Christina Campbell at Ardgowan street, Greenock on 22 Nov 1889. They had 2 children on the 1901 census, Alexander and Peter B. Alexander Black McNeill was a ships Carpenter.

Alexander McNeill and Mary Black appear on the 1861 census at 2 Hill Street, Greenock with children Rebecca and Alexander B. And 2 lodgers James Muir b Ireland being one (see later)

Mary Black died at 25 Regent Street on Jan 1 1862 her husband Alexander was present and the informer. Her death Registration confirmed her parents as John Black and Mary McIntosh.

Alexander McNeill remarried on 14 March 1862 at 25 Regent Street, Greenock, to Margaret McCrae.
On this marriage registration he gives his father as Alexander McNeill Captain in the Army and Rebecca Blue both (Dec) his witnesses were James Muir (see above) and Mary McNeill (?)

Alexander McNeill died at 25 Regent Street, Greenock on 4 Jul 1864. He was aged 40 and died of consumption. James Muir (see above) was present.

It is unclear what became of Rebecca and Alexander B.
When Rebecca married in 1870 she was a domestic servant. Both she and James Seath recorded the same address as 62 Wellington Street, Greenock.

Alexander may well be the nephew residing with Neil McFadyen on Colonsay in 1871 but because his birth is given as Colonsay and not Greenock I am going to assume that this is not Alex B. but rather Alex McNeill son of Ann McNeill (Neil McFadyen sister, 1/2 sister of Alexander McNeill who's wife Mary Black (her sister n law) was also the sister of her husband Alexander Black).
Old 13-11-14, 22:00

Thanks for the info. Must dig out all my old research to compare notes - some of what you have posted sounds familiar. Massively busy at the mo', but when the project I'm working on settles down, I'll have a look at what additional info I have on the McGlary family.