Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-02-20, 06:21

Default Thomas Clarke

Thomas Clarke appeared in India in time to marry Elizabeth Moon in 1805.

They had 3 children : Thomas Mathews (Matthew) in 1807, George William in 1808 and Adelaide in 1813.

I can't find deaths for Thomas or Elizabeth but the names are common so I might just not realise I'm looking at the right one.

I have long suspected Thomas was the first of my Clarkes to arrive in India but it was only a gut feeling. However I noticed this index card on FMP the other day saying he arrived in 1797. I may have seen this before and this is where the gut feeling came from.

Thomas Clarke

I have no idea where the card found the information. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 19-02-20, 07:58
Administrator

I don't know the answer to your Q. Where were the children born? (for some reason FMP refuses to show me any of them, or the document you linked to )

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-02-20, 09:49
Administrator

I will look at the card when I get my FMP sub, definitely in the next few days, but in the meantime, FamilySearch has an Indiana, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth, born 1813 and baptised 1814, married a William Richard Chill and had several children. A tree on Ancestry has her parents as Thomas Clarke and Elizabeth Moon. Is she the same person as Adelaide? The tree says that Thomas was a timber merchant on his marriage record, and an indigo planter on Indiana's baptism record.

Oh, and the children were born in Bengal, Merry.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-02-20, 13:42
Administrator

Thanks Kate.

Ancestry has some entries in the UK, Registers of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office, 1746-1939 ....

Bengal European Inhabitants

Thomas Clarke shipwright 1803
Thomas Clarke, carpenter, Bankipore, 1797

I checked the start of the As to see if there was anything to be sure what the date represented, but there was nothing.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-02-20, 13:53
Administrator

There are two other Clark(e) children with the 'right'parents, but no other identifying details:

Fanny and Mary Ann both in 1810. Their birth dates are two months apart though, so separate parents? (or a very unusual set of twins?!)

Old 19-02-20, 15:02

It says Copyright Society of Genealogists. This means an idefatiguable researcher in the late 1800s - early 1900s.
If FMP have no details, might be worth emailing the query to the SoG.
Old 20-02-20, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I don't know the answer to your Q. Where were the children born? (for some reason FMP refuses to show me any of them, or the document you linked to )
The children were born in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I will look at the card when I get my FMP sub, definitely in the next few days, but in the meantime, FamilySearch has an Indiana, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth, born 1813 and baptised 1814, married a William Richard Chill and had several children. A tree on Ancestry has her parents as Thomas Clarke and Elizabeth Moon. Is she the same person as Adelaide? The tree says that Thomas was a timber merchant on his marriage record, and an indigo planter on Indiana's baptism record.
Sorry, she is Indiana. Thomas Mathews had a daughter, Adelaide.

Quote:
Thanks Kate.

Ancestry has some entries in the UK, Registers of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office, 1746-1939 ....

Bengal European Inhabitants

Thomas Clarke shipwright 1803
Thomas Clarke, carpenter, Bankipore, 1797

I checked the start of the As to see if there was anything to be sure what the date represented, but there was nothing.
I'll have a look, thank you.

Quote:
There are two other Clark(e) children with the 'right'parents, but no other identifying details:

Fanny and Mary Ann both in 1810. Their birth dates are two months apart though, so separate parents? (or a very unusual set of twins?!)
I've found them recently and I don't know but as you say the dates are strange and I can find no marriages for them, at least none that have helpful witnesses to identify them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It says Copyright Society of Genealogists. This means an idefatiguable researcher in the late 1800s - early 1900s.
If FMP have no details, might be worth emailing the query to the SoG.
Good idea.
Old 20-02-20, 07:59

There was a Thomas Clark/e married to an Elizabeth Wilson maybe 1808 or 1809. Can't remember now. I suspect that Fanny or Mary Ann was their child.
Old 22-02-20, 17:03
Administrator

If you browse on to the next card after the one that you linked to, Toni, it is for Thomas Clark, indigo manufacturer and silk manufacturer, and it says "came out 1802", "? Possibly identified with man of same name, Timber merchant, Shipwright, etc?" The cards seem to show that both Thomases appear in directories from 1817 and 1819. So is Indiana definitely the sister of George William, or could they be from different families?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-02-20, 12:17

Indiana's baptism lists her father as Thomas Clark, Indigo planter.
George's just says Thomas Clark.

George's marriage however lists George as an Indigo planter and has several Chill's as witnesses. Chill being the surname of Indiana's future husband, but her husband, was not a witness. Thomas Mathews is however a witness.

Interestingly, Dad has 3 DNA matches that seem to be for descendants of Samuel Chill, Indiana's father in law, but not Indiana's husband. I wonder if the Clarke and Chill families are related?