Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 13-07-23, 01:13

Default 2nd-3rd Cousin Match Interpretation

Hi there.

Ancestry tells me that I am a match with two folks each who are listed as 2nd-3rd cousins with 2% shared DNA 110cM - 150 cM

Is this level of matching consistent with us sharing a great grandfather.

Who should I now search for to narrow this down.

Thanks
Old 13-07-23, 08:57
Administrator

If you click on the amount of shared DNA, it will show you all the possible relationships. For instance, 110 cM could be as distantly related as 4th cousin. If you share a great-grandfather, you would be half 2nd cousins, which does show as one of the possiblilities for both the amounts that you mention.

If those two DNA matches are "shared matches" with each other, and if they both have family trees, you should compare them to see if you can work out how they are related to each other as that could give you a clue as to how they are related to you.

Also, look at the other shared matches that you have with each of them. You are trying to find connections between their family trees to see if some of them share ancestors with each other, because if so, those people could also be your ancestors and the ancestors of the DNA matches who you are working on.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-07-23, 23:13

Thanks for that. I'm trying to get some clues as to who my paternal GGF is. It is unlikely to be the one who married to my GGM as he was 500 miles away with another family at the time. Cheers Peter