Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-08-20, 15:01

Default Frances Sidwell

There are 111 Trees on Ancestry that have Frances Sidwell born 19 Nov 1671 in Letcombe Regis, Berks to Lawrence and Elizabeth. Not one of them has a source or record for this fact apart from other trees. I can't find anything to back this up, can anyone else?

I have found a couple of other baptisms with Lawrence and Elizabeth as parents but no Frances.
Old 04-08-20, 15:52
Administrator

I found a Rootsweb page which says a Frances Sidwell, daughter of Richard Sidwell and Frances nee West, was baptised 18 Mar 1673, but when I clicked to view the source for this it was page not found. It says Frances Sidwell married a William Kinch. Is that the same as your Frances?

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~raydon65/sid0001.htm

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-08-20, 15:55

I cannot see the source on Family search, so I have no idea whether the entries are complete or abstracts, from parish registers or bts. But their entries for 1671 cover Letcombe Regis and there is no trace of Frances
Old 04-08-20, 16:13

Kite - according the multitude of trees there were two Frances Sidwells born in the 1670s one to Lawrence and Elizabeth and the other to Richard and Frances.

I have found a marriage in 1697 between John Butcher and Frances Sydwell at Brightwell, Berks. According to FMP they baptise 3 children, Charles, Mary and John and then there is a Lawrence with no parents names recorded on the transcript and of course that's the one who may be my 6 x gt grandfather! I have messaged Berkshire Record to see if the original record mentions the parents and await the reply. Lawrence would appear to stand as bondsman at the marriage of John Butcher jnr....

So having Frances' father named as Lawrence fits beautifully but I need some proof!

Phoenix - thanks for checking for me, I hadn't though of that. One day I'll get to Berkshire Record office to check an ever growing list of records!
Old 04-08-20, 16:53

Sue, nothing to add except that I find Berkshire research exceedingly difficult.

My 3x-great-grandmother Martha Franklin, who married Charles Alexander Alexander, said she was born at Newbury. c. 1794. However, I can't find a baptism for her that I can claim. I'm pretty certain that the transcribed records aren't complete.
Old 04-08-20, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Sue, nothing to add except that I find Berkshire research exceedingly difficult.

My 3x-great-grandmother Martha Franklin, who married Charles Alexander Alexander, said she was born at Newbury. c. 1794. However, I can't find a baptism for her that I can claim. I'm pretty certain that the transcribed records aren't complete.
Elizabeth - I feel your pain! I have another whole line all from Newbury (according to Ancestry family trees) Perhaps a meet at the Berkshire Records office at some point. After pandemics of course!
Old 04-08-20, 17:20

Our daughter lives just 4 miles from Reading, so it's very doable for me! If you are going to head down there in future, let me know.
Old 05-08-20, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
Our daughter lives just 4 miles from Reading, so it's very doable for me! If you are going to head down there in future, let me know.
I've been promising myself a trip to Reading for years but have never got round to it. Perhaps the idea of company will spur me on!
Old 05-08-20, 08:00

I forgot to mention that I have a handful of shared matches with the Sidwells in their trees. Admittedly all low cMs but interesting!
Old 05-08-20, 09:57
Administrator

Looking at my own DNA matches (on Ancestry), if I search for surname Sidwell, birthplace Letcombe Regis, Berkshire, I get 8 people come up. So I wouldn't get too excited about those, Sue!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update