Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 12-06-20, 10:19

Default Between the censuses

I sometimes wonder how much we miss.

I was scouring newspapers for the surname Rayner in Brinton, Norfolk and found William Rayner being forced to pay maintenance for Georgeanna Nobes' illegitimate baby in January 1866.

William had married Amelia Colman in July 1865 (and their first child was baptised 28 January 1866)

Five years later, William was in Brinton (where he lived the rest of days, with family members as near neighbours) with Amelia. They only had one more child - William Alfred - who was apparently born in January 1871 but registered in the September quarter.

And Georgeanna's child? By 1871, Georgeanna was in service in London. No obvious sign of the child with its grandparents.

Then I found the inquest. 14 August 1867. William Nobes, a child under the age of two, accidentally drowned in a well.

I hope he was loved. I somehow doubt it.

Because he was illegitimate, he would not show up as William Rayner's son. And because this all happened between censuses, without newspapers I would have had no idea of his existence, but I feel his life must have had a profound influence on both Georgeanna and Amelia.
Old 12-06-20, 13:40

I searched for YEARS for my great grandfather. He was Scottish, so his death cert told me who his parents were but I simply could not identify him on census even though his mother had quite an unusual forename.

Eventually, the story unfolded after I accidentally found the mother's burial place. They married in 1862, had two children and she died in 1865. By 1871, he was back living with his parents and described as unmarried. His children were living with their maternal grandmother and were described as boarders on census, not grandchildren. The maternal grandmother was on her third bout of widowhood and it took three lots of marriage entries to confirm my hunch that she was their grandmother. She did eventually reward me by living to 94 and getting a bit in the paper describing how she had kept the lighthouse until 92, climbing over 100 stairs 4 times a day.

I have several instances of life changing events happening between census, all are things found accidentally by idle googling!

OC