Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-11-15, 10:21
tenterfieldjulie

Default Rev. Matthew Keogan

I am hoping that someone will have the time to look at an image on Ancestry for Australia - which is included in the Wills, Probate, Land, Tax & Criminal Records - it is for a NSW Hospital and Asylum Record.

I read it as saying that Matthew Keogan entered the Asylum at Liverpool on 4.7.1899 and died 23.1.1908. He was a single RC Clergyman. Born Co. Mead (should be Meath) and was 34 years in the Colony, all in NSW and came out on the "Champion of the Seas" which is correct.

His last fixed abode was Sydney where he was living with friends. I then have trouble transcribing - ? from there ? by Addt Fras O'Brien of St. Vincent's Hospital. No Means. ?

I then have trouble reading what it says about family, but it partly says that he had a brother Christopher and his father was also Christopher a farmer and his mother Margaret Carrol. (The NSW Death Cert index says father Christopher and mother Margaret.)

It was thought Father Keogan had died about 1886 when he was admitted to St. Vincent's hospital and he was supposedly dying. It was quite a shock to find that he was still alive twenty years later.

We know that he arrived in Australia in 1865 and he was stationed at Tenterfield, Armidale, Grafton, Kiama, Berrima and Appin. Then he just disappeared. Now he has been found and we know his parents, but not exactly when he was born. If anyone would like to go fishing !! Born C1840 I'd imagine.
Thanks Julie
Old 10-11-15, 12:42
Administrator

This looks to be the document:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...nSearchResults

Keogan Matthew, 60, RC. Single, Clergyman
Born Co Mead, Ireland, 34 yrs in Coly, all NSW, ship "Champion of the Seas" Last fixed abode Sydney. Living with friends in Sydney, now from there brot by Attdt Fras O'Brien of St Vincents Hosp
No means, 1st adm
Date of admission 4.7.99
Date of discharge 23.1.08
Died 11.15 pm
Names and addresses of relatives: Brother Christopher, Navern, Co Mead, Ireland, Farmer
James, Riddle St, M???
Remarks:
(Father) Christopher, farmer
(Mother's maiden name) Margaret Carrol

I'm guessing that "Navern" should be "Navan".

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-11-15, 12:50
Administrator

Hmph, looking at the Irish Catholic PR's online, they seem to have Navan baptisms from 1782 to 1813 and then from 1842 to 1881.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0955

Not much help unless he was younger than supposed, or baptised when a few years old.

Old 10-11-15, 12:59
Administrator

The Irish civil registration indexes have a Christopher Keogan death Apr-Jun 1900 at Navan, age 72, who could be the brother, (if the next of kin info was filled in on admission), in which case he won't be on the 1901 Irish census.

Old 10-11-15, 13:07
Administrator

If only we knew where Riddle St was, maybe we could find James Keogan and get his birthplace.

Old 10-11-15, 14:52
Administrator

I found a book on Google Book Search:
The diocese of Meath, ancient and modern
by Anthony Cogan (published 1862)
In a section headed "The Young Men's Society", it says:
The Navan branch of this praiseworthy organization was established on the 22nd of March 1859...The council for the present year consists of the following brothers... Christopher Keogan...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...%22%20&f=false

Old 10-11-15, 15:23

I wondered when you posted that whether Cogan might be a variation of Keogan, Kate, and I see that the footnote on page xvii confirms my guess was right.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 10-11-15, 16:42
Administrator

The Tithe Applotment Books transcriptions on ancestry have Chr Keogan listed at Knockumber Townland, Navan parish, Co Meath, in 1834, so it looks likely that Matthew would have been born in Navan parish.
Edit - Christopher Keoghan listed at Knockumber, Navan, on Griffith's Valuation.

Old 10-11-15, 18:03

The Tithe Applotment Books have the following Keogans in Knockumber Townland, Navan, Meath:

- Michael, 16 acres
- Christopher, 19 acres
- Luke, 13 acres

There is also a John Carolan - possibly a variant of Carrol?

The Griffiths Valuation has the following Keogans:

- Christopher
- Michael
- Bridget

John Carolan is also there again.

Parts of the 1821 census for Ireland exist - luckily, Knockumber is one of the townlands for which there are surviving records! Find my Past have them: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resul...0knockumber%20

The Keoghan household (house number 2) comprises the following people:

Luke Keogan, 70, farmer
Ann Keogan, his wife, 68
Christopher Keogan, his son, 32, linen
Michael Keogan, his son, 30, ditto
Luke Walsh, his grandson, 13, ditto
Catherine Pawderly, 34, house servant

It looks as if there is another Keogan household (house 20) in Knockumber, but it may be Keagan (but isn't that a variant name, anyway?). Here are the people for ref:

Lawrence Leonard, 58, farmer
Luke Keogan, his son in law, 30, labourer
Bridget Keogan, his daughter, 26
Luke Keogan, his grand son, 10
Patrick Keogan, his grand son, 0
John Dougan, 20, house servant
Mary Bennett, 18, house servant
Old 10-11-15, 22:31
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks everyone that is great.
I accidentally drove into Navan on my way from Dublin to Sligo... I do find Sat Navs in Ireland very confused lol
I can see there is quite a bit to get my teeth into with what you have found. Unfortunately I have to go out now.

His health was failing for some time as mentioned in the newspapers, what his illness was is not mentioned. See the last notice which says that he was admitted to St. Vincent's Hospital, after that I have not found him mentioned, but it may not be coming up on Trove. The date of the admittance to St. Vincent's is 1886 so there is a big gap until 1899 when he is admitted to Liverpool Asylum.

"Freeman's Journal 20 December 1884 Father Keogan of Berrima is not at present enjoying good health.

Freeman's Journal 19 September 1885 Father Keogan, of Berrima, who was for a time greatly troubled with illness, is now in excellent health. The rev. gentleman's friends will be pleased to know this.

Freeman's Journal 14 November 1885 CLERICAL CHANGES. The following changes have been made Father Keogan of Berrima, whose health has not been good, to Appin.

Freeman's Journal 20 March 1886 CLERICAL CHANGES. Father Keogan's failing health will not allow him to remain any longer in active duty at Appin.

Freeman's Journal 15 May 1886 Father Keogan, who has been staying under Father T. O'Reilly's hospitable care at Balmain West for some weeks, is now in St. Vincent's Hospital. We regret to say that the Reverend Father is in a very delicate state of health."

Thanks. Julie

Last edited by tenterfieldjulie; 10-11-15 at 22:38.