Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-02-14, 14:21
Administrator

Default Many clues but no solution!

I've managed to find the PCC wills of the parents of Mary Wood, wife of Samuel Buttall: Anthony Wood, sugar baker of Bristol, will proved in 1686, and his wife Joane, will proved in 1713/4.

Anthony's will mentions wife Joane, children Samuel, Joseph, Sarah, Elizabeth and Mary, nephew Robert Wood, plus friends Mr Thomas Edwards of Bristoll gent and Mr Richard Cotherington.

Joane's will mentions lots of people and I would have thought I could figure out her maiden name from it, but still struggling! Any help gratefully received! Some of the sisters, cousins, etc may be relatives of Anthony rather than of Joane.

It seems that they were early Baptists, and apparently there are not many Baptist records from those days.

Niece Sarah Buttall and her children Jonathan and Anne [probably the wife of Samuel Buttall's brother Jonathan who died in 1695 in Battersea as his will mentions his wife Sarah, children Jonathan, Ann and Samuel, and aunt Mrs Ann Smith, among others]
My couzen Mary Townsend
Mrs Elizabeth Sanger [or Langer?]
Mrs Creeze, Mrs Young, Mrs Weekes, Mrs Thomas and Mrs Hardcastle Ministers' Widows
Mr Pope and Mr Gough Ministers
Mr Dyaper(?) Minister
My sister Mrs Anne Smyth
My couzen Mrs Anne Hooke
Mr Noble
Mr Fownes
Mr Gifford
Mrs Gifford
Mr Chandler of Bath
Mr Standon
Mr Seale of Marsfeild
Mr Tyler
Mr Harris
Cozen England
Mr Minell(?) of Taunton
Mrs Nitzell(?)
Mr Cattgott
Mr Job
Mr Slackmore(?)
My Cozen Swettman and children
Cozen Hannah Burgis
Mrs Anthony
Mr Dew
Cozen Jone and her blind daughter
Cozen Thomas Hind
Cozen Robert Wood
Mary Sanger
Jane Coller
Margrett Lewis
Margery
Cozen Bickley
Mrs Standen
Sister Newport
Sarah Barnes
Cozen Andres
Cozen Cooper
Cozen Kingcott and two daughters
Cozen Temple
Cozen Swift
Mrs Bartlett

Also children and grandchildren as follows, but I mostly have them sorted out already, it's the sisters, cousins etc above who I am hoping will lead us to Joan's parentage.
son in law Allen Smyth and Mary his [second] wife [nee Hook, married 1682] and their children Francis, Joshua and Anne [Allen's first wife was Joane's daughter Ann Wood and they married in 1674]
grandson John Smyth [son of Allen and Ann, baptised 1674] and Frances his wife and their eldest son John Smyth
grandson Charles Goodman and his son Charles Goodman [perhaps Susanna Smith, daughter of Allen and Ann, baptised 1677, married Charles Goodman?]
grandson Allen Smyth
son in law Mr Samuel Buttall and my daughter Mary Buttall
grandson Nathaniel Hodges and Mary his wife [nee Buttall, daughter of Samuel and Mary above]
grandson Thomas Wiggington and Sarah his wife [nee Buttall, daughter of Samuel and Mary]
grandson Humphrey Buttall [son of Samuel and Mary]
grandchildren Benjamin, John, Charles and Elizabeth Buttall [children of Samuel and Mary]
Son in law Morgan Smyth and Elizabeth his wife [Joane's daughter Elizabeth Wood who married Morgan Smith in 1691]
Grandson William Barnes and his wife Mary [William Barnes is son of Joane's daughter Sarah Wood who married William Barnes in 1688]
Grandson Anthony Smyth [a son of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Anne Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Elizabeth Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Sarah Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Granddaughter Mary Smyth [a daughter of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Grandson Morgan Smyth [a son of Morgan and Elizabeth]
Susan and Margaret Smyth [two more of Morgan and Elizabeth's daughters]

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update

Last edited by kiterunner; 05-02-14 at 14:26. Reason: add id of William Barnes and his wife Mary
Old 23-06-14, 19:12
Administrator

Just found when trying out a few searches on Mocavo (to see what it is!) a mention of "a sugar refining house, warehouse and loft, occupied by Anthony Wood and Godfrey Yonittern, sugar bakers" in a deed of September 1669, listed under "Ancient Bristol Documents".

This must be Godfrey Yonittern: Van Itterne, Godfrey, sugar baker, city of Bristol, 1686, Canterbury wills proved in the PCC.

So, looking at the PCC wills on ancestry, he is Godfrey Von Itterne (Ancestry indexed as Von Jtterne), will proved 14 Sep 1686 (written 14 Jun 1686).
His will mentions his wife Abigail, son Samuel, son Godfrey, daughters Susanna, Sarah, Abigail, and Deborah, daughter Andrews, son-in-law George Andrews, son-in-law Joseph Hooke, and... "my cozen Anthony Woods widow"!

Joseph Hooke could be the husband of Joan's "cozen Mrs Anne Hooke" (or maybe not - FamilySearch has a Joseph Hooke marrying a Mary 16 Oct 1684 at St James Bristol, no surname given for Mary), and daughter Andrews could be Joan's "cozen Andres" (FamilySearch has Georg Andrews marrying Elizabeth Vanatteren in 1682 at St James Bristol). The Von Itterne girls who were unmarried in 1686 may turn out to be some more of the people mentioned in Joan's will.

There are baptisms on FamilySearch for Gotfrey Venathren in 1678 and Deborah Venattern or Venatterne in 1684, both at Bristol, who are probably two of the children mentioned. Also a marriage between Godrey Varsterne and Abigail Brianie 23 May 1676 at Siston, Gloucestershire, not far from Bristol. If this is the right couple, then the married daughters must have been from a previous spouse. Of course wills were so vague that they could be Abigail's daughters rather than Godfrey's. And it's not clear who was his relative (or relative of one of his wives!) - Anthony Wood or Joan. But another clue anyway.

Edit - found baptisms for the other children, earliest being Elizabeth 12 Dec 1665, all at Bristol, all are Godfrey's children, and includes a Mary 1666 so I bet she is the Mary who married Joseph Hooke. Not found Godfrey's first marriage yet.

Old 23-06-14, 22:37
Administrator

Ooh, the Sugar Refiners and Sugarbakers website has "von ITTERN Godtfriedt 1st marriage, aged 30, of Battersea, at St Bennett's Pauls Wharf, London, 1663 marriage allegation."

But the only Godfrey I can see marrying at St Benet Paul's Wharf in 1663 on ancestry is a Godfrey Finet who married a Susanah Pargister 14 Dec 1663. Not sure whether the surname is similar enough!

Edit - back to Mocavo and they have a book Allegations for Marriage Licenes Issued from the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury at London, 1543 to 1869
with this entry:
Dec 14 Godtfriedt Von Ittern of Battersea, Surrey, Refiner of Sugar, Bachr, 30, & Susanna Pargiter, Spr, 23, dau of William Pargiter, of Morefields, St Giles, Cripplegate, London, Gent, who consents, at St Bennett's. Paul's Wharf, London.

So, my Anthony Wood, or his wife Joan, was somehow related to either Godtfriedt or Susanna. Or possibly to Abigail, but since Joan seems to be mentioning Susanna's children in her will, more likely Susanna than Abigail. Also the Sugar Refiners site has mention of Godfrey being "of Hamburg" and he was naturalized in 1667, so it seems more likely to me that Anthony or Joan was related to Susanna than to Godfrey.

Old 24-06-14, 10:39
Administrator

I have to go shopping now, but just before I go, now I know to look at London as well as Bristol, I have found the marriage of a Mr Antony Wood and Mistress Jone Chambers 16 Nov 1654 at St Mary the Virgin, Twickenham, with Antony being of the parish of St Mathew Friday Street, London, and Jone of the parish of Twickenham.

Then they (or at least Anthony; mother's name not given) have the following children baptised at St Matthew Friday Street, according to FamilySearch, but I can't find the images on ancestry:

Humpherey 3 Jan 1656
Ann 5 Feb 1657
Mary 21 Jan 1658
Edward 18 Oct 1660
Elizabeth 30 Apr 1662
John 17 Aug 1664.

The first baptism I have found in Bristol is Samuel in 1668. There should be an Ann old enough to have married in 1674, and a Mary old enough to have a child baptised in 1680, but I haven't come across the other names in my Wood family except that they have an Elizabeth baptised in 1671 in Bristol, so if this is the right family, the one baptised 1662 would have to die by 1671.

Old 24-06-14, 11:27

It looks like Ancestry only have St Matthew Friday Street for 1800-1811.

Ooh, but FMP have 2 burials for Humphrey Wood, in 1656 and 1660 (Boyd's London burials)

Last edited by Lindsay; 24-06-14 at 11:38.
Old 24-06-14, 11:37

Also a burial for Edward, 1661.

I can't see a burial for Elizabeth, however.
Old 24-06-14, 11:48

Some more info here. Looks like there are Baptist connections.

Thomas Ellis, an elder at Broadmead, had family associations with the sugar trade going back two generations. Before 1665, he sailed regularly between Bristol and the West Indies and was involved in the opening up of Barbados and Nevis in the late 1650s. Anthony Wood managed the business side of the venture for him, and Ellis obtained the services of Godfrey Van Ittern, a German from Hamburg, whose wife was in the membership of Broadmead, to superintend the refining process.

http://www.biblicalstudies.org.uk/pdf/bq/23-8_348.pdf
Old 24-06-14, 11:52

Found this as well:

WOOD Anthony - (manager to Thomas Ellis) Whitsun Ct Sugar House Bristol 1665-83

WOOD Anthony - (manager) Whitsun Ct Sugar House Bristol 1667-87 B+G Arch Soc - Trans. vol.65

WOOD Anthony - Wood & Ellis? Barrs Precincts, St Botolph without Bishopsgate London 1638

WOOD Antony - (Bdm) - Bristol 1678 Bristol Marriage Bonds

WOOD Anthony - (will) Lewins Mead (Whitson Ct)
Old 24-06-14, 12:04
Administrator

Ooh, thanks for that, Shona. I had seen some of those before but hadn't thought to look at Godfrey Van Ittern's will when I saw his name before. I already have Anthony Wood's will, and I have looked at the Bristol marriage bonds before.

I think I already looked at Thomas Ellis's will and it didn't help. I presume the reference to Godfrey's wife must be his first wife, Susanna, since he didn't marry Abigail until 1676 and it says in that book that Thomas Ellis sold his interest in the business in 1675. So it does look likely that Susanna was the one who was related to Anthony (or to Joan).

Anthony Wood and Godfrey Van Ittern were both churchwardens of St James, Bristol, in 1677, despite their involvement with the dissenters.

Old 24-06-14, 12:06

Found these in the

MARRIAGES AT ST JAMES’S CHURCH, BRISTOL: 1559-1753

22 Mar 1682/3 L Mr George Andrews of Wells, mercer Elizabeth VONITTERNE (Vanatteren) of St James.

16 Oct 1684 L Joseph Hooke of Bristol, brewer Mary Fon Iterne (VENITTERN) of St James.

16 Dec 1688 L John Morgan jnr of Bristol, upholsterer Susannah VANITERNE (Vanatern/Vanateren) of St James.

26 May 1734 {Lx} Samuel VANITTERN Hannah Dixson.