Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-01-12, 21:38
Administrator

I can't see much point in carrying on with this. We don't know that's the right birth reg, we don't know what death Zoe was refering to, we don't know what name Jim used in the future, we don't know where he went or if he stayed in Leeds etc etc etc.

There are a few people with him on their trees on Ancestry but no one has any proper BMD entries.

Zoe, I hope you are now adding all the new information we have given you over the last couple of months to your GR tree, given you say this is the only tree you have? (It's not a good idea to have your only tree on an online site with no backup)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-01-12, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I can't see much point in carrying on with this. We don't know that's the right birth reg, we don't know what death Zoe was refering to, we don't know what name Jim used in the future, we don't know where he went or if he stayed in Leeds etc etc etc.

There are a few people with him on their trees on Ancestry but no one has any proper BMD entries.

An impossible task for other people to do without all of the info to hand. Too much of a big ask in my opinion.
Old 16-01-12, 21:43

I think I shall give up now. It seems rather pointless. Off to watch Prof. Brian Cox.
Old 11-03-14, 18:05
Administrator

I was just having another look at this thread.

This birth reg (below) was picked out as a possible one for Jim Lawrance who appears on the 1911 census as aged 9 b Leeds, son of Hannah (nee Hairyes):

Births Mar 1902
LAWRANCE Edward James Bramley 9b 374

It turns out this (below) is the baptism for that child, so not the right person as we are looking for the child of Stephen Lawrance and Hannah nee Hairyes.

Edward James Lawrence
Born 8 Feb 1902 Holbeck, St Matthew and New Wortley, St John the Baptist, bap 12 Mar 1902, father Patrick John William Lawrence, mother Louisa Lawrence (Ancestry W Yorks baptism records)

Instead I found this marriage (image available on Ancestry)

28th May 1927 at the Parish Church in New Wortley, Leeds
James Nelson Lawrance, aged 25, bachelor, occ labourer, address 2 Robinson's Yard, father Stephen Lawrance (dec'd) labourer
Lilian Rollinson, aged 23, spinster, address 3 La Haye Sainte Street, father William Rollinson, wheel turner
Witnesses Edward Rollinson and Nancy Playforth. Everyone signed their names.

This looks like James' death reg:

Name: James N Lawrance
Birth Date: abt 1902
Date of Registration: Jun 1965
Age at Death: 63
Registration district: Leeds
Volume: 2c
Page: 337

Lil(l)ian Rollinson aged 7 b Wortley Leeds is with her parents (inc William a turner) in 1911.

Lilian's birth reg:

Births Mar 1904
Rollinson Lilian Bramley 9b 350

I can't be certain of her death as there are several possible entries.

There looks to be three children for James and Lilian registered 1927, 1930 and 1937, but I'm not posting them here in case they are still living. (all those births have the spelling with an A: Lawrance) and can easily be found on FreeBMD.

I still can't see a birth reg for James anywhere!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010