Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-08-19, 15:36
maggie_4_7

I thought it a poor episode, the beginning was fine but I think Jack's father was quite shocked at the syphillis revelation and the way Caroline died (I thought it was terribly sad) and from then on in he seemed a bit detached, plus his son was constantly trying to turn it into comedy with digs at his father re boarding school and the Conservatives.

So what Jack you went to boarding school get over yourself your fans don't care you had a privileged upbringing and now you are embarrassed by it, it got a bit wearing and tedious plus I don't think Jack Whitehall is very funny anyway totally not interested in FH but only in using it as vehicle for his comedy shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I thought the "pony and trap accident" story sounded very fishy from the start, and I would have started by looking for Richard sr's death registration!

Wasn't REB lucky not to be born with congenital syphilis, considering that his father died from syphilis before he was 2, and that his mother presumably got it from his father?
Very lucky, I don't know what the percentages are in a baby being born with it, there wasn't much time born in 1870 father died 1872.

But Randolph Churchill's wife Jennie Jerome seemed to avoid being infected but of course we have no idea what their marriage arrangements were like.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 06-08-19 at 15:53.
Old 06-08-19, 16:35
Administrator

Hmm, that's strange - I noted down the value of Charles Worsey's estate as £194,893-16-7 from the programme, but the National Probate Calendar says £253,671-4-6, resworn as £253,985-3-9.

REB died in 1958 and his estate was worth £119,582-19-10. And Jack Baxter Whitehall (Michael's father) died in 1969 with his estate being worth £7,133.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-08-19, 16:39
maggie_4_7

I thought REB died 1938!

Edit:

Forget that it was Charles in 1937 I am losing it.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 06-08-19 at 16:44.
Old 06-08-19, 17:03

I was annoyed by the pronunciation of Tredegar as well. I remember going there on a school geography trip. We were supposed to ask people in the street why they were unemployed.
Old 06-08-19, 17:03

I agree with everything you say about Jack Whitehall maggie, although I thought Michael was disinterested in the whole exercise even before the sad revelations about his great grandparents. I couldn't decide whether the pair of them were playing their comedy personas or whether they really are like that with each other all the time. Surely not? Jack's silly banter and continual digs at his father's background (which is also his. Didn't we learn he went to Marlborough? That's considerably posher than Ampleforth I think!) got very tiresome and were out of place in WDYTYA. It all spoilt what should have been an interesting story for me.
Old 06-08-19, 17:06

Ann, I agree. I found them both totally irritating. The historical background was interesting, but they both spoilt the programme for me.
Old 06-08-19, 17:07

By the way, Ampleforth is a Catholic school. I wanted to know if anyone in the family was a Catholic.
Old 06-08-19, 17:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
I agree with everything you say about Jack Whitehall maggie, although I thought Michael was disinterested in the whole exercise even before the sad revelations about his great grandparents. I couldn't decide whether the pair of them were playing their comedy personas or whether they really are like that with each other all the time. Surely not? Jack's silly banter and continual digs at his father's background (which is also his. Didn't we learn he went to Marlborough? That's considerably posher than Ampleforth I think!) got very tiresome and were out of place in WDYTYA. It all spoilt what should have been an interesting story for me.
And he seemed to be complaining about an almost total lack of females at Marlborough, but they have had girls in the sixth form there for 50 years and have been fully co-ed for 30 years (Jack is 31.)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-08-19, 17:17

When Martin Freeman was the WDYTYA subject they found that one of his ancestors had infected his wife and several of his children with syphilis. The thing that gave them the clue initially was the sequence of the children's births and deaths and the fact that one of the survivors was blind. They had an expert in the effects of the disease on the programme. It was several years ago and I can't remember the exact details but I think it was something along the lines that in large families the earliest born children are more likely to have congenital syphilis but survive, often with disability like blindness, the middle born children have it and are more likely to die in infancy whilst the later ones are born free of the disease. I took notice because I have a family in the early 1800s with exactly that pattern, including one who was blind. It was very interesting.
Old 06-08-19, 17:21

I didn't notice that but at 31 he is several years younger than the Duchess of Cambridge and her sister and they both went to Marlborough.