Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-08-19, 13:25

Default Visiting Devon Archives

Has anyone been lately?

They have a horrid website, that bounces you around but provides no useful information.

I have not visited them at the new location: like most modern record offices, they are tucked miles away from human civilisation.

I have to rely on public transport so do I:

1. Stay in Exeter, at a civilised hotel, with the opportunity to sight-see, but a long bus-ride each day? or
  2. Stay at a bargain hotel on a windy road with no entertainment but my notes, but the ability to walk to the record office each morning?
The old record office didn't even have loos on the premises. I assume this one is better, but does it have a cafe? A vending machine?

Any comments gratefully received. They are in such a horrid location that I'm actually thinking of going somewhere else!
Old 13-08-19, 13:34

The Devon Heritage Centre is just outside Exeter at Sowton where the Met Office is. There is a bus service that goes there. Sowton used to be a village but Exeter is now swallowing it up. The vicar there in the 1960s was father of a school friend of mine.

Julie, OH and I stayed nearby at Clyst St Mary in June and ended up driving around there by accident.

According to the Stagecoach website it only takes 11 minutes from Exeter Bus Station to the Heritage Centre, so you would be better off staying in Exeter. They are redeveloping the bus station but it looks as though the Paris Street bus station will be open until the new site has been completed.

I haven't looked at the website yet.
Old 13-08-19, 13:39

It seems that the Honiton Road Park & Ride services the Heritage Centre, so there should be a very good service between there and the city centre.
Old 13-08-19, 15:15

Thank you, Elizabeth! I used to visit Exeter regularly, but that was over twenty years ago. There is so much I need to explore that isn't online.
Old 27-08-19, 06:59

I'm just a bit jealous Phoenix. I wish I could go with you.

* says wishfully *
If you run out of things to do I have a list of things I need.