Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 18-12-10, 01:37
tenterfieldjulie

Default Anna Margareta Ruhl - Bannerod, Germany

Name: Anna Margareta Ruhl
Date and place of birth: My guess 1790s Germany
Names of parents: Unknown
Date and place of baptism: Protestant (Ron Alt's book pub 1989)
Marriage: 20 November, 1817 Nieder Moos, Germany (40 miles Frankfurt - I presume at the Evangelical Church) to Johannes Christoph Alt (Ron Alt)
Occupation: Housewife - mother to six children born between 1818 to 1830 - one son dying only days old, one son dying at 20 years, 2 sons migrated Australia, two daughters married and lived in nearby villages
Addresses: The family lived in small village of Bannerod, south of Lauterbach in Hessen Darmstadt. Villagers were poor with very harsh winters. The two surviving sons trained as man servants/butlers. Christoph being conscripted into the Hessen Archducal Regiment at 21 and serving 3 years. There was a feudal baronial system. Johannes died 1844.
Date, place and cause of death: Before 1852 when son Christoph migrated.
Date and place of burial: Probably at Bannerod, Germany
Details of will: Unlikely
Memorial inscription: Unlikely
(Information supplied from on Alt's book - Christoph Alt of Yass)
Would love to obtain a copy of her marriage certificate?
Old 18-12-10, 09:45

Julie, a Johannes Alt was a schoolteacher at Crainfeld from 1682-1688, which seemed to serve the area.

Probably an irrelevant piece of information, but worth noting!

http://www.chronik-crainfeld.de/schule.htm

(I'm googling to see if I can find anything!)
Old 18-12-10, 13:37
tenterfieldjulie

How very interesting Elizabeth, I wish I could read German. I will have to Google Crainfield and find out how it relates to Bannerod and Neider Moos. Ron Alt did much of the Alt research, his book was published in 1989. The furthest he went back was to Johannes Christoph Alt (1783-1844) who married Anna Margareta Ruhl. He was known as Christoph, I suppose to differentiate him from his father, Johann Heinrich Alt who married Anna Marie Dahmer. It is possible that Johannes Alt the school teacher could have been father or grandfather of JH. Unfortunately the only original German records that the family have relate to Christoph (1828-1873):- Certificate of Domicile when he took up a position as manservant and is signed with Archducal authority by the Mayor of Bannerod in 1848. He also received Certificates etc which were awarded by the Archduchy of Baden for military service.
Old 18-12-10, 13:49

I read German, Julie, so if there is something specific you would like me to look for, I will see what I can do.
Old 19-12-10, 10:58
tenterfieldjulie

Thank you for your kind offer Elizabeth. When I am thinking clearly I will contact you. Cheers Julie

Tags
to3g8