Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 23-10-17, 09:56
Administrator

Does the marriage index give the fathers' details or the parish for the wedding?

I couldn't find any Duke /Berwick birth registrations, but there is a death of a William Duke in Steyning district in 1839. I've forgotten his age now, but he was in his 40s I think.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-10-17, 10:15
Administrator

It wouldn't be the first time someone has married under a different surname than you might expect! (ie William Duke, carpenter might actually be William Martin - scuppering my theory completely! lol). I have seen examples where every GRO entry is in one surname but every census record is in another for instance. Sometimes it's to do with copyhold land entitlement, but more often just because somewhere along the line there's been an illegitimate birth and a family has been brought up with the 'wrong' surname (and used in everyday life and on the census) but they use what they see as their lawful surname on more official records! Lots of other variations on this theme too. Obviously they didn't consider family historians at all! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-10-17, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Does the marriage index give the fathers' details or the parish for the wedding?

I couldn't find any Duke /Berwick birth registrations, but there is a death of a William Duke in Steyning district in 1839. I've forgotten his age now, but he was in his 40s I think.
No details like father or witnesses, in this case. The parish is Preston, freebmd says registered in Steyning district.

The name Elizabeth Berwick is unusual enough for me to want to investigate. As you can see from an earlier post, there were several Elizabeths related to each other, but at least two of them were still single in the 1841 census.

Between work and meetings this week, I have not had a lot of time to look further, but I will later this week.

Tags
to3g5