Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 01-07-11, 21:31

Default Jessie Ann Key (my father’s mother)

Name - "official" name and what they were known as – Jessie Ann Key

Date and place of birth – 15 February 1897, Portskewett, Monmouthshire

Names of parents – Charles and Jessie (nee Lloyd) Key

Details of each of his or her marriages – 1 September 1919, St Pauls Church, Biggar, Saskatchewan, Canada to William Roy Kilpatrick. Widowed 26 September 1951.

Occupation(s) - none

Military service - none

Addresses where they lived - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on, if applicable.
1901 Census– 5 Burns Row, St Brides Minor, Glamorgan

1911 Census - 33a High Street Llanhilleth, Monmouthshire.

On 6 September 1911 she sailed to Quebec, Canada from Bristol, England aboard the Royal George with her mother and younger brother to join her father and elder brother who had sailed on 3 May 1911 and 12 July 1911 respectively.

1916 Canadian census – Living on the outskirts of Saskatoon, Sask,. Canada with her mother & father (who was a homesteader/farmer). Her younger brother was training at Camp Hughes, Sask. prior to being sent to France with the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Her elder brother had died in on 6 October 1912 from typhoid.

1919 – After her marriage she lived at 820 Avenue G North, Saskatoon, Sask, Canada until her death.

1957 – from June until September she lived in Cheam, Surrey with her eldest son and his family before returning to Saskatoon, Canada. It was her first visit ‘home’ for 46 years and she travelled alone on the Empress of Britain to Liverpool and then by train to London. The journey took 6 days.
She also visited her son & his family in Cheam in 1968 and 1973, staying for 3 weeks each time. She flew over to England for those visits and in 1968 was able to visit her birthplace and childhood home in Monmouthshire and Glamorgan.

Date, place and cause of death – 11 June 1975, Saskatoon, Sask, Canada

Date and place of burial – 13 June 1975, Woodlawn Cemetery, Saskatoon in the same grave as her husband who had died in 1951.

Details of will / administration of their estate - not known

Memorial inscription – not known

Even though she had lived in Canada since the age of 14, her voice still had a Welsh lilt to it over her Canadian accent!

Jessie Ann Key in 1918.

Sue at Langley Vale

Last edited by Langley Vale Sue; 02-07-11 at 21:24.
Old 02-07-11, 14:15
Administrator

In 1911 Jessie and her two brothers and father are at 33 a High Street Llanhilleth, Monmouthshire.

Jessie's mother is with her parents (? I'm guessing!) Edward and Harriet Lloyd at Munderfield Stocks Avenbury Bromyard Herefordshire.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-07-11, 21:22

Thanks Merry. I have got that information, but I was working from my pc and an old backup of my FTM instead of my latest backup on my external HD & laptop so I missed that bit out I'll add it now
Yes mother Jessie was with her parents probably saying goodbye to them. She was their only child and was about to move to Canada and would never see them again

memo to self..............keep backups updated on ALL computers and check before posting

Sue at Langley Vale

Last edited by Langley Vale Sue; 02-07-11 at 21:27.

Tags
togp1