Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 10-01-22, 09:17
Administrator

TBH, I didn't remember his first name or whether he was born in the 1870s or 1880s, just that he was someone Jones b Sheffield. So I just searched the boards for Jones Sheffield which brought up your thread, "New Edward Jones thread"

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-01-22, 09:25

I note that cousin's great grandparents have successfully muddied the waters. I have just discovered that my uncle had either a cousin or half sister of whom nobody had ever heard. She never married, and is in an institution in 1939. Her grandparents say they have no idea where she was born, nor whether her parents were alive or dead!! These details are actually completed in another hand.
Old 02-02-22, 23:57
Administrator

This is a bit weird - I searched for Frederick James Parsons born about 1891 with Eastbourne as the birthplace, and it came back with what must be the right record, in Weston under Penyard, Ross, Herefordshire, since that was where I was expecting him to be, but it says Essex, England, for the birthplace in the index. Presumably they have transcribed it as Eastbourne, Essex, but they aren't showing the Eastbourne bit in the free search results? I had noticed that a lot of records only show county for birthplace but I was assuming that meant the village / parish / town / city hadn't been transcribed, or wasn't on the image, not that they were just not showing it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-02-22, 12:51
Administrator

I wondered about that. I paid for a page where the place of birth showed up as just Ireland on the index. When I saw the page the place of birth said Ulster Ireland, so I then knew it was not the right person. I just assumed they hadn't transcribed that bit, in error.

However, if I search using the place of birth Ulser the entry still appears in the results, so it must be on the transcription, which I've not paid for. But there are plenty of records that do show a full place of birth, so is it just a random mix of people with full place of birth on the main index or something else?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-02-22, 14:14
Administrator

My guess is that if the transcribed birthplace doesn't match their list of standard placenames, they reduce it (for the free index) to a part which does match the list, so Eastbourne, Essex becomes just Essex and Ulster, Ireland becomes just Ireland. But Eastbourne, Sussex would be shown in full because it is on their list.

Just searching for birthplace Eastbourne, I see a lot of results with Eastbourne, Sussex, England, and a Suffolk, England, an Essex, England, and even one with just a -.

If you search the 1911 census, there is a search field called "Birthplace as transcribed" and it (presumably) shows that field as the Birth place on the list of results, for instance Sussex Eastbourne, Eastbourne Sussex, Mead Eastbourne, Eastbourne SX, Essex Eastbourne, etc. Shame we don't get to see that on the free search for the 1921!

Old 03-02-22, 19:52
Administrator

Interesting. Yes, that all makes sense. A bit frustrating that they don't tell you any of this.

Old 12-09-22, 23:22
Administrator

I've just seen this in the TNA User Advisory Group meeting minutes from March 2022: In addition, in time (by the end of the calendar year as confirmed by Findmypast), the
1921 census would be available via Findmypast’s subscription model

So it should be included in (some) FMP subscriptions by the end of this year, according to that.

Old 13-09-22, 07:26
Administrator

Thanks for that useful info, Kate.