Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 12-09-21, 10:22

Default Thrulines question

Hello everyone,
I have a second DNA question someone will hopefully be able to answer. I have just attached my wife's DNA results to the same tree as mine. She is in the tree obviously, but why doesn't her thrulines show up? At the moment if I change to her results it still shows my ancestors. And it has been several days like this.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-21, 12:37
Administrator

Check that you have attached her DNA results to the right person in your tree, and that the relationships are showing correctly. Also, it could be that they are not updating ThruLines right now as they are about to bring in some updates to the DNA part of the site.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-09-21, 02:15

Thanks Kiterunner. I didn't realize you had to attach to an individual. How do you attach to the correct person?
Old 13-09-21, 08:00

In her DNA profile, select Settings at Top Right
Scroll down to Tree Link - it should show which tree she is linked to, then choose CHANGE and it may suggest another tree. Ancestry should then suggest a person - if you answer NO not the suggested person, then you can enter the name under which she appears in your tree - my daughters are just entered as Initials in my tree.

Then select LINK DNA RESULTS and it should be done.

I did mine last week, and it takes a couple of days for the ThruLines and Common Ancestors to populate.
Old 13-09-21, 08:37

Thank you Marquette. I feel like a complete goose. The reason I couldn't change it was I forgot to swap to my wife's results.
Normally not troubled by technology, I am really struggling with this DNA caper.
Old 13-09-21, 12:25

No worries. Sometimes its easy to miss the simplest thing.

We have had DNA profiles since 2018 but I am only just beginning to understand the best way to use them. Have you tried grouping your matches with the Leeds Method?

That's where I started - and I am only just realising some of what that tells me.

In some ways, it depends on what you want to know from DNA matching, how to go about using DNA to further your family research.

On my Dad's side, I wanted some matches to particular families that I had theorised were the families his ancestors belonged to, lacking parish and marriage records. And after 3 years, I have solid matches and family trees to match my research.

However, the same cannot be said of my mothers ancestors. I have no useful matches, with or without trees. But there again, I don't really have any theories about where the ancestors belong - I have searched endlessly for baptisms in the places they said they were born.
Old 14-09-21, 02:24

I had to google it, but the Leeds Method looks interesting. I will have a go and see where it takes me.
My DNA results have thrown doubt on a couple of family lines so far, with no matches showing, despite plenty of trees on Ancestry. I know not everyone has had a test, but still....